Can I create a raster from a LiDAR point cloud based on return number?

Jump to solution
01-23-2018 12:37 PM
San_DiegoManagement___Monitori
New Contributor II

I am working with a Lidar point cloud to create a number of raster outputs. I would like to create a raster from either the number of returns (count) or the max return number- these two should be the same. I am working in ArcGIS 10.5 right now. In the LAS Dataset toolbar, I am able to view the points by return number. But in the tool "LAS Dataset to Raster", I cannot choose return number as the value field. Is this possible in ArcGIS? Or is there another program I should use?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGaussen1
New Contributor III

Hi there

The geoprocessing tool "LAS Point Statistics As Raster" has the option to create rasters from the point count which will produce a raster representing the number of Lidar points per pixel. You can also create a raster from the most frequent last return value which will create a raster representing the most common last return value from the Lidar data per pixel. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KellyGaussen1
New Contributor III

Hi there

The geoprocessing tool "LAS Point Statistics As Raster" has the option to create rasters from the point count which will produce a raster representing the number of Lidar points per pixel. You can also create a raster from the most frequent last return value which will create a raster representing the most common last return value from the Lidar data per pixel. 

San_DiegoManagement___Monitori
New Contributor II

Yep, this is exactly what I need! Thank you.

0 Kudos