Composite Address Locator Returns Empty Geometry

12-28-2017 12:25 PM
JoeZuckerbraun
New Contributor II

Has anyone else had a composite address locator return empty geometry when geocoding a list of valid addresses? Individually, each of the 3 locators work correctly, and the composite locator is able to locate an address that is entered into the Find Address Box in ArcMap. Even more strangely, the composite address locator writes correct DisplayX, DisplayY values in its output yet still returns empty geometry! All locators and data are in the same coordinate system.

Please advise because this is so strange!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

What data format is the output getting written to (shp, file geodatabase..)?

Does outputting to a different data format get the results showing on the map?

What is the value in the Shape field of the reference data that was used to build the 3 participating locators in the composite? I've seen this type of behavior when the reference data geometry has M or Z values.

What version of ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro did you find this behavior?

-Shana

JoeZuckerbraun
New Contributor II

Shana,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. One of the locators was M & Z enabled. I made a new reference dataset that had no M or Z values and rebuilt the locator using that. And it worked correctly. For the record it didn't matter what the output format was. This was using ArcGIS desktop 10.5.

Thanks again,

Joe

ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Joe:

I believe the behavior you ran into is related to NIM095011: An address locator based on reference data with Z or.. , which includes a workaround to remove the m or z from the feature class. Once removed, the data could be used as the reference data to build the address locator. 

-Shana