ArcGIS Pro 2.X Rectangle Rounded Corners?

01-19-2018 10:07 AM
CurtisDeVault
Occasional Contributor

Our company-wide templates require rounded corners on various parts of layout items. In ArcGIS Pro 1.4 I could have a rectangle in my layout with rounded corners. When I upgraded to 2.0, this failed to work and so I installed 2.1 today hoping it was fixed...nope. When trying to add a radial effect to a rectangle, I get the following error. It also did this at version 2.0. So far now I'm stuck using version 1.4...which regularly uses about 10GB of RAM. Any thoughts? I did a quick search and couldn't really find anything that related directly to rectangles and graphics. Thanks!

7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I think you said it was fixed in Pro 2.1 in this thread

https://community.esri.com/thread/192213-can-i-give-rounded-corners-to-a-data-frame-in-pro-14

well... at least you know

0 Kudos
CurtisDeVault
Occasional Contributor

No. The thread you reference relates to map frames. My post here related to graphics not map frames.  

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Oh... you mean this

CurtisDeVault
Occasional Contributor

Ah! That is a method I was not aware of, however it does not work. I can select the rounded corner option but it won't ever let me click Apply. I also tried changing the color, then I can click apply but only the color changes. 

Karyn_Kerdolff
New Contributor III

One workaround I've come up with is to use an Offset effect on the stroke layer of the rectangle.

• Set the stroke to be the same color as the fill
  • Leave the Offset distance to 0 pt
  • Chang the Offset method to "Round"
  • Experiment with the Stroke width to get the corners you desire

This isn't perfect, and you have to play with the size of the original rectangle as well, but it should give you something until ESRI fixes/implements the functionality.

Dan Patterson, it seems like that dropdown only changes what the example swatch looks like, rather than effecting the actual polygon (as evidenced by the wildly irregular polygons included in the dropdown). Is this correct?

CurtisDeVault
Occasional Contributor

Thank you much! That got me on the right path. I ended up leaving the width alone and adjusting the offset until I got what I wanted. No fill with black outline w/ rounded corners. Still need to do some more fiddling, but that's exactly what I needed! Thanks!

MattNash1
New Contributor II

Sorry if I'm too late to help, but I came across the same problem today.  I've got a bunch of maps done in ArcMap with rounded corner rectangle graphics in the layout.  Importing the .mxds into Pro makes them disappear.  But, as mentioned above, for whatever reason you can still give a map frame rounded corners.  So, create a new map with empty content, insert a new map frame referencing the empty map into your layout, and voila.  A graphic rectangle (that's actually a map of nothing) with rounded corners.