Set existing image as survey123 answer by default or calculation

Jump to solution
01-18-2018 11:38 AM
CardnoNew
New Contributor

I want to make a survey123 form select an existing image as the answer to a question based on answers to other questions. The image could be stored in the media folder or elsewhere.

Is this possible?

Possible use cases include attaching a high quality map based on a feature code or a high quality signature based on the user's name.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Default images are supported when using the draw or annotate appearance.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi there, 

I'm not sure if it's possible to add an image as an attachment to a survey based upon answers - someone else might have a solution.

But you could potentially use it using Pull Data and writing the URL of an image (the images could be hosted in ArcGIS Online) to a field in the Feature Service. The image won't be accessed by an attachment but by a hyperlink to it instead. 

Pull Data works off select_one/text but you could try using the workflow suggested in the comments in this blog:https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/12/11/making-other-work-harder-in-survey123-re... 

Carmel

JamesTedrick

Hi,

Default images are supported when using the draw or annotate appearance.

CardnoNew
New Contributor

This works. We put the image in the media folder and then created the file name including the extension using an expression in the default field.

However, the user has to open and edit the image for it to be saved by the form. Also the saved image is padded to portrait ratio. Is there any way to stop this behavior?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Thanks for the feedback; yes, there are some limitations as you describe.  Can you elaborate a bit more on how you're using a default image in your survey, so that we can better understand this requirement?

0 Kudos
CardnoNew
New Contributor

Hi James.

We are doing asset inspections using Survey123 and generating inspection reports using the new generate report tool in the Survey123 website.

Currently, our report template has an image for each of the inspectors and they have to delete the ones they don't want after generating the report. We were asked to set up the form to do this automatically based on the inspector name, which is a select one field. Initially, we tried to pass a url to the report template, however, the report generator only seems to find attachments so we are instead trying to attach a default image.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Thanks, this helps me understand the use cases that could take advantage of the capability for a default value in an image.  I've added this as a potential enhancement in the our issue log.  I might suggest also placing this as an issue in https://ideas.arcgis.com - that will help be a central point for people to weigh in their support and use cases for this enhancement.

0 Kudos