FileGDB Compression is Not Installed Error

08-17-2011 11:01 AM
MichaelChilds
New Contributor
A customer has provided a GDB with a single FeatureClass, but when we try and open the table we get a "FileGDB compression is not installed." error from the FileGDBAPI::Geodatabase::OpenTable call. Is there some way to open these files or install the FileGDB compression that Open Table is looking for? I can provide the GDB if needed.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
8 Replies
LanceShipman
Esri Regular Contributor
A customer has provided a GDB with a single FeatureClass, but when we try and open the table we get a "FileGDB compression is not installed." error from the FileGDBAPI::Geodatabase::OpenTable call. Is there some way to open these files or install the FileGDB compression that Open Table is looking for? I can provide the GDB if needed.

The API does not support compressed file geodatabase data, so you will need to get your customer to uncompressed it before they send it. Please provide the GDB (lshipman@esri.com). I'd like to examine it to make sure that this is compressed data and that we are not returning the wrong error.
0 Kudos
MichaelChilds
New Contributor
I believe the data is not created by the client but something published by some government agency so it would likely be problematic to get them to uncompress it. Are there plans to support compressed data sets or to at least instruct users not to compress their data if they want it usable in a large number of products?

I would attach the file but it seems there is just a 2MB limit for .zip file and this file is a bit over 9MB. Can that limit be increased?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
LanceShipman
Esri Regular Contributor
Do you have ArcGIS? If so, open ArcCatalog. The feature class should be flagged as "Compressed". If you don't have ArcGIS, look under the  file geodatabase folder for files with a .gdbtable.sdc extension. If you find any tables with this extension, at least some of the data is compressed. If we can not determine if the data is compressed by either of these methods you can copy the zip file to the esri ftp site.

I've added an enhancement request for compressed data support and we will consider it for a future release.
0 Kudos
AndreaGiudiceandrea
New Contributor II

Dear Lance Shipman,

have you got any news about the compressed data support for FileGDB?

filegdb‌filegdb_api#

#filegeodatabase

Lance Shipman ha scritto:

I've added an enhancement request for compressed data support and we will consider it for a future release.

0 Kudos
LanceShipman
Esri Regular Contributor

We added support for reading compressed file geodatabase data at version 1.4 of the File Geodatabase API. The current version of the API can be found at file-geodatabase-api/FileGDB_API_1.5.1 at master · Esri/file-geodatabase-api · GitHub.

0 Kudos
AndreaGiudiceandrea
New Contributor II

Hi @LanceShipman , when will the SDC Smart Data Compression support be added to the File Geodatabase API?

0 Kudos
LanceShipman
Esri Regular Contributor
We support reading CDF data. Supporting SDC Smart Data Compression is not on in our current plan.
We expect to update the supported compilers and operating system versions periodically. Fixing critial bugs as needed.
0 Kudos
MichaelChilds
New Contributor
There is a .gdbtable.sdc file in the folder, so it appears to be compressed. Is using compression something that is pretty common?

Thanks,

Mike
Global Mapper Support
support@globalmapper.com
0 Kudos