More folders in ArcGIS Online

01-12-2018 10:33 AM
deleted-user-qRySsTL4050M
New Contributor II

I'm having problems managing my data in #ArcGIS Online whereby I have City wide coverage of data, County wide coverage of data and national coverage of data of varying types (Point, Line, Multipatch etc).

Normally my data would be structured by City and then subsequently a folder for each data type but ArcGIS Online only allows one folder which means that I have masses of similarly named data. I have tried using tags but we are aiming to sell via the marketplace and this complicates things.

Has anyone had any experience with data management on #AGOL or been able to implement further folder structure?

Is anyone else having this issue or is it just me? Speak up and let @Esri know!

Tags (2)
3 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Nicholas, 

Have you considered using Groups and Group Applications to organise content instead of your Content page?

I've implemeted this for a customer and it worked well.

For example, create a group containing a City's data and share to a group app > Repeat this for all your cities > Share these group apps to a County group >Share this as a group app > Share these group apps to a County Group. 

Carmel

0 Kudos
deleted-user-qRySsTL4050M
New Contributor II

Hi Carmel,

How are you doing? Haven’t seen you around for a while.

We have been using groups for the last couple of years but this will not work where the data has to be used within the Marketplace nor does it work where we have multiple clients. We’ve slimmed the structure as much as possible but we require one more level so that we can make it work with the marketplace.

Regards,

Nick D

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm well!

Ah I see!

There's multiple ideas for this in ArcGIS Ideas and seem to be merged to Additional Folders/ Sub-Folders in My Content. Seeing as Inc have overhauled the Content page recently, it could be that sub folders are next - might be worthwhile logging this via Tech Support too as an enhancement request as it's affecting your commercials.

Carmel

0 Kudos