Insights for Arcgis and SQL Server Express

Jump to solution
01-15-2018 02:48 AM
PhilippeVan_De_Vreken2
New Contributor III

Hi folks!

Does anyone know whether Insights for ArcGIS can work with SQL Server Express?

According to the help page Supported databases—Insights reference | ArcGIS  only the standard and enterprise editions of SQL Server seem to be supported. However, some reactions in the following thread seem to suggest that Insights can also work with the express edition:Insights for ArcGIS SQL server database limitation 

Does anyone has experience in using Insights in combination with SQL Server Express? Does it work?

Best regards,

Phil

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanSmith8
New Contributor III

Hi Philippe Van De Vreken‌,

The databases listed in our Supported Databases page are those databases that were run through and passed certification testing. As such, we list them as supported databases.

If you were to use an unsupported database, it may very well end up working! However, we cannot in any way guarantee that it will.

It's also important to note - By using an unsupported database, if you ever had the need for Tech Support in the future, our support analysts would be unable to provide assistance until you were in a fully supported environment.  The same would apply if you ran into a bug and needed to get that logged.

I would strongly recommend against the use of unsupported databases with any component of our software.

Best regards,

Nathan 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Though I have never setup Insights with SQL Server Express personally, I recall (not 100% sure right now) a colleague had done that. So it should probably work.

Have you tried and are facing any issues?

0 Kudos
PhilippeVan_De_Vreken2
New Contributor III

I did not try. But just want to avoid that I have to install it and then uninstall in case it won't work.

0 Kudos
NathanSmith8
New Contributor III

Hi Philippe Van De Vreken‌,

The databases listed in our Supported Databases page are those databases that were run through and passed certification testing. As such, we list them as supported databases.

If you were to use an unsupported database, it may very well end up working! However, we cannot in any way guarantee that it will.

It's also important to note - By using an unsupported database, if you ever had the need for Tech Support in the future, our support analysts would be unable to provide assistance until you were in a fully supported environment.  The same would apply if you ran into a bug and needed to get that logged.

I would strongly recommend against the use of unsupported databases with any component of our software.

Best regards,

Nathan 

PhilippeVan_De_Vreken2
New Contributor III

Thank you Nathan!

0 Kudos