Custom Print Layouts

04-25-2013 10:40 AM
ScottWoods
New Contributor
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to configure custom map layouts/templates into the print tool within the Silverlight Viewer. I simply want to use a different map template than what is provided within the default print tool options. Im using ArcGIS Server 10.0 and version 3.1 of the silverlight viewer.

Thanks
0 Kudos
11 Replies
PietaSwanepoel2
Occasional Contributor
Scott,

for ArGIS 10.0:  look in directory C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Builder\Templates\Default\Config\Print
PrintLayouList.xml has list of print templates available
Basic.xaml and WithMapElements.xaml are the two files that contain the printing templates
In order to add your own, you will have to create a new xaml file containing your layout and add the definition to list in PrintLayouts.xml. Visual Studio or Expression Blend is recommended to do this.

For ArcGIS 10.1: the new ArcGIS Server printing service works great. You can publish your own templates from ArcMap and will be available. I can supply you with steps on how (there are one or two small things to do that is not obvious from documentation)
0 Kudos
ScottWoods
New Contributor
Thanks for you input I'll give it a try. I will be upgrading to 10.1 soon so if you can send me that documentation I'm sure that will come in handy.

Scott
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Scott,

I will be upgrading to 10.1 soon so if you can send me that documentation I'm sure that will come in handy.

FYI, please checkout this video:

ArcGIS for Server 10.1: PrintingTools Service Tutorial

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

Hey dlaw-esristaff‌ can you republish this video or provide a new link,

I am looking for documentation tutorials for publish custom print templates via server to use in Web Apps

I am using ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1 and PRO 2.1(can we do this via pro? prob not since pro does not publish to server)

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

can we utilize PRO templates (.pagx) for the custom print templates? I thought we could or do we have to use the ArcMap ones? Export Web Map tool does not rtecognize the pagx files in the folder directory...

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Joe,

> can we utilize PRO templates (.pagx) for the custom print templates?

While I have not done this personally, it looks like this is possible.

Tutorial: Publishing additional services for printing—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
PietaSwanepoel2
Occasional Contributor
Some extra detail for custom printing services:

• Open an empty mxd

• Change to layout view

• Create template and store mxd in share folder.

• Register the shared folder on ArcGIS Server as a Registered Folder for publishing

• Open ArcToolbox and run the tool Export Web Map under the Server Printing tools

• Leave the top 3 boxes as default

• Select the newly shard folder that has been registered with AGS

• Click OK

• From the results tab, then publish the GP service to the appropriate location on your server (right-click on process in results)

• In the Flex/ Silverlight viewer/ builders you would be able to use these GP services with the out-of-the-box printing tools (add-ins)

The Silverlight Viewer printing services has settings for following values:
Title, author, copyright, template, format and scale

On your template for the map (mxd) the following placeholders define these:

• titleText replaces <dyn type="document" property="title">

• authorText replaces <dyn type="document" property="author">

• copyrightText replaces <dyn type="document" property="credits">

For all images (logos) use the setting �??Save Image as Part of Document�?�. Otherwise might not find the path to image, even if defined on server

In order to add more templates to the list of available templates for a printing service:

• For the new mxd, run the tool Export Web Map under the Server Printing Tools in ArcToolbox (same settings as below)

• From the Results Tab, re-publish the service (Share As -> Geoprocessing Service). Overwrite the existing service and ensure the new template is checked (Layout Template)

Restart the service in ArcGIS Server Manager (should not be required)
New template should now be available.

For Silverlight application builder add-in:
Edit the printing tool add-in:
Connect to Print Service URL (this should reload the templates for the service)
Make sure the new template is available in list of templates
0 Kudos