Join Field - WARNING 000970 Slow performance

01-09-2018 04:59 AM
PeterMerx
New Contributor II

Join Field - WARNING 000970  Slow performance

Hi,

I'm joining a standalone table to a shape. When joining i get the WARNING 000970 about my join field. When the join is ready I want to work with the shapefile but it is extremely slow. After Feature class to Feature class it is much better but this tool takes a long time. If i run the Add Attribute Index tool on the join field i don't get any enhancement in performance and I still get the warning 000970 although I just ran the Add Attribute Index on the field. What can I do to improve performance on the shapefile I'm working with?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you failed to indicate the size of the file you are trying to join.  It may just be quite large.  What type of fields are involved in the joins? Joining a geodatabase table to a geodatabase featureclass is probably as fast as you are going to get it they are both indexed on the join field.

PeterMerx
New Contributor II

The thing is, i get the WARNING 000970 before joining! And if i run the Add Attribute Index tool, i get the warning again. After I run the feature class to feature class tool the performance of the shapefile is greatly enhanced, for example when selecting specific symbology. 
The file is 100.000 records....

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You keep mentioning shapefile... is there a reason that you can't copy the shapefile to a featureclass in a geodatabase and do everything in a geodatabase?  If you then need a shapefile with the data permanently joined after, you can do it at the end of the workflow, assuming you don't hit the 2 Gb file size limit.

PeterMerx
New Contributor II

I'm sorry you're right...it's a feature class in a gdb (I add it from the .gdb to from Catalog). I'm joining it to a standalonetable.  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am seeing ArcGIS Pro in the Place and Catalog in your threads.  If you are doing the join in ArcGIS Pro, then use the tools from within Arctoolbox.  I avoid any shortcuts unless desperate.  Also, you don't indicate how long?  for 100K records, is it seconds? a couple of minutes? or is the warning just annoying?  There are numpy alternatives, but they would only be of use if this were normally a very long join process and had to be done countless times.

0 Kudos
PeterMerx
New Contributor II

Ok I will describe it most precise:

I have a feature class from a downloaded .gdb consisting of polygons in the whole Netherlands. I clip it to two municipalities so I have two feature classes inthe Project.gdb . These two feature classes behave normal and I can switch symbology on all categories normally for example.

Then i join a standalone table to one of these feature classes (standalone table: 50.000 records, feature class 100.000 records). The joining itself is done in a few seconds but if I then want to work with the feature class for example cahnge the symbology to another category it takes hours before this action is performed. A solution is to run the feature to feature class tool and then I get a new feature class and this one acts normal. The running of this feature class to feature class tool takes 2 hours. I think this has to do with the indexing, am I right? Would you know why it takes so long?

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Actually joining the field(s) is another option, this sample should be fast:

http://pm.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=da1540fb59d84b7cb02627856f65a98d 

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could upvote the idea Improve performance of the Join Field tool 

Maybe the Standalone Python script would be faster. Join Field—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Working with FGDB Feature classes is more preferable than shapefiles.

Think Location
0 Kudos