3D Capability in ArcGIS

Jump to solution
12-14-2017 07:03 PM
JeffChartrand
New Contributor III

Looking to respec a classroom of ArcGIS machines and wondering what 3D Stereo capabilities we should include in our new hardware?  Does ArcGIS 10.5 or ArcPro have any real use for 3D Capability for visualisation?  There was a product for Stereo work which I think was a third party extension.  Are there any plans for ESRI to have any Stereo extension or capabilities in the future?  We currently have Planar Screens and use Erdas Imagine but are apparently not looking to renew that software.  Welcome comments and suggestions.   Anyone using ArcGIS or ArcPRO with 3D applications that has an opinion? 

Thanks for the help,

Jeff Chartrand

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

In January 2018 Esri we will be releasing the Image Analyst Extension for ArcGIS Pro. This will include stereo viewing directly in ArcGIS Pro and work with your Planar screens.  In the mean time check out http://esriurl.com/ImageAnalystBeta 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

In January 2018 Esri we will be releasing the Image Analyst Extension for ArcGIS Pro. This will include stereo viewing directly in ArcGIS Pro and work with your Planar screens.  In the mean time check out http://esriurl.com/ImageAnalystBeta 

JeffChartrand
New Contributor III

Dear Peter,  We will be using ArcGIS 10.x for at least two more years, will the additional image analyst extension be ported to ArcGIS desktop or just to ArcPro?

Cheers and Happy New Year,

Jeff Chartrand

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you can have the Image Analysis functionality... not quite the same, but most of the letters are

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Jeff, as Dan mentions there are some image analysis functions in the ArcMap Image Analysis window as well as a range of GPtools for classification. ArcMap also includes image space viewing (use focus on image). Stereo will not be added to ArcMap. The new capabilities are being added to ArcGIS Pro. Note that ArcGIS Pro can be run in parallel with ArcMap. If you have ArcMap licenses then you also have ArcGIS Pro licenses.. I would suggest moving over to ArcGIS Pro is now is more functional than ArcMap.

0 Kudos
JeffChartrand
New Contributor III

Hi, I work for the MOD and they are not going to change operating systems from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for at least two years and more likely four years.  This precludes using ArcPro as it requires OS system update.  Speaking to some other large monolithic organisations [Govt and Commercial] they are in a similar state.  This means for us we need to work with ArcGIS desktop.  Hence my question.  We are licenced under UK CHEST agreement for both systems so it is Windows that holds us back.  Thanks for the reply.

Jeff 

0 Kudos