Where is the map stored in excel?

10-18-2017 03:18 PM
DragonflyLight_Richards
New Contributor III

I am new to this! Forgive me for this newbie question.

I created a map in excel. I saved the document. I opened the excel doc on another day, signed in to my esri account but the map is no longer there. Is the map supposed to remain in the document, and if so, how can I find it again?

Thank you!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Lea, 

The map should remain in the document

• Was your Excel document saved as .xls or .xlsx?
  • Are you signed in the exact same account that you made the maps with originally?

In the Excel file, what happens if you sign in > go to the ArcGIS Maps tab > Go to Map? Does the map appear there?

Carmel

0 Kudos
KateKeeley
New Contributor III

I have the same issue. I use the same login information each time and the file is saved as a .xlsx file. When I reopen the file and sign in, the options to go to my map is grayed out.

I've created the map multiple times because each time I close and reopen the file, it appears like it is no longer there! Any suggestions?

UPDATE: I do get a past map if I share the map to AGO before I leave. Is there a way to store maps without publishing it to AGO?

CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kate, 

If this is happening more than one person, it might be worth contacting your local Esri technical support team.

• What version of Office are you using?
  • Are you on Windows?
  • Are you on the latest version of ArcGIS Maps for Office?

If you have to create the map again and again, how about sharing the data to ArcGIS Online and each time you can pull that data from ArcGIS rather than recreating it and potentially using credits.

Carmel

KateKeeley
New Contributor III

It works when I share the map/data to AGO. But, just to be clear, sharing isn't supposed to be necessary to view past maps? Your maps are supposed to be saved and able to reopen each time you open Excel and log in? If that's the case, I think I will definitely contact our ESRI contact.

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kate, 

From what I know, sharing isn't necessary to see past maps, but I only use ArcGIS Maps for Office occassionally. 

If you get an answer, can you share it back here? Thanks!

Carmel

DragonflyLight_Richards
New Contributor III

Windows 7 Professional. Excel 2016, Maps for Office version 4.1

It doesn't happen to me every single time, but does on occasion.

I believe I am running all up-to-date programs. I just started using maps for office, so this was a surprise.

Thanks for your help and insight!

0 Kudos
DragonflyLight_Richards
New Contributor III

I take that back. It is happening consistently. This is unworkable. I really need it to be stable.

0 Kudos
UlfBecker
New Contributor III

This has been an issue in my org ever since we started using Maps for Office.  It seems to be independent of OS (Win7, 8 & 10).  One observation we have made it that is seems more unstable when we save Excel files to SharePoint and more stable if we save files to our LAN.  We reported the issue several years ago but never seemed to drive it to any solution.  Has anyone else reported this as a bug?

0 Kudos
StevenHeadley
New Contributor II

I have this issue now as well.  I created a map, used 100 credits to geocode addresses, saved the Excel document, and when I came back in, the map is not there.  The "Go to Map" button is grayed out.  I had 2 maps, map1 and map2.  When I Add New Map, a blank map named map3 pops up, so somewhere in Excel is stored that I already made 2 maps.  Where are they?

Thanks,

Steve