Rster/GRID appears offset by 1 mile to east in ArcMap for ONE User

12-06-2017 02:15 PM
RichardDaniels
Occasional Contributor III

In ArcMap 10.5.1 I have a user whose Raster GRIDS would not appear in her MXD after upgrade (from ArcGIS 10.3.1). We resolved this by running the Build Pyramids and Statistics tool on the users data. This allowed the GRIDS to appear on the map,  but now the GRIDS appear to be offset to the east by about 1 mile form the underlying geometry (e.g., a road feature class) when seen in Data View in ArcMap.

When other users login to the same machine and load the same GRID and road layers the data lines up as expected.

We have already cleared the normal.mxt, HKLU for the users registry, and repaired ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1. As stated, the odd thing is only one user on the machine has the problem. When other users open the same MXD (when logged in as themselves) they don't have the issue.

Rich

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
RichardDaniels

The GDAL library may be the root cause of the offset for the AIG format. There help documents state "Supported GDAL Raster Formats:

Supported by GDAL for read access. "This format is the internal binary format for Arc/Info Grid, and takes the form of a coverage level directory in an Arc/Info database. To open the coverage select the coverage directory, or an .adf file (such as hdr.adf) from within it. ... The projections supported (read if a prj.adf file is available) is quite limited."

Checking now with the GDAL folks if the projection we are using is supported.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It still doesn't answer the question as to why only one individual on a machine is having problems while other people reading the exact same file on the same machine have nol issue... is the person a big supporter of open source software and doesn't like commercial software??

0 Kudos
RichardDaniels

I don't know if supporter is the correct word, but I did check to see if there were unusually installations on the machine that few other people have (If one of these had GDAL library's and were installed 'per user', that may be the culprit).

I found:

ArcHydro Tools (64 bit)

AutoTURN 8 Workstation 

Bentley DGN I Filter

Bentley DGN Indexe Services

Bentley MicroStation

Bentley Power InRoads

Bentley Project Wise

Catalyst Control Center Localization

CCC Help Czech through Turkish

Google Earth Pro

MGSFllodVer4

HDR Preview by Bentley

so yes she has a lot more custom software that on most of our users. 🙂

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

arc hydro is a candidate... that is the only thing on the list that uses esri grids and they may have used gdal for those that don't have the spatial analyst extension since it was initially developed by a 3rd party... check to see if it on any other machine

Madanbhurati1
New Contributor III

If you are using windows operating system, within company domain Remove/Rename the ESRI Folder from Users\----\AppData\Roaming.

0 Kudos