arcgis data store 10.5

09-18-2017 03:33 PM
AbhayDuvvuri2
New Contributor II

Hi,

I understand there is a big change with ArcGIS Enterprise.

I would like to know on publishing services. How does it affect publishing services from File geodatabase , enterprises geodatabases like MSSQL and Oracle.

Relationship between ArcGIS Data store, enterprise geodatabases and ArcGIS Pro (consume data and publish it).

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Have you seen some of the existing documentation? such as 

http://server.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/linux/overview-data-store-setup.htm

0 Kudos
AbhayDuvvuri2
New Contributor II

I have gone through it but I have few questions like

1. ArcGIS Data Store will be PostgreSQL and it will create a backup based on the service published. Web Apps through Portal will consume data from ArcGIS Datastore.

2. If I connect to enterprise geodatabase (ex. Oracle) and publish the service from Arc Pro, then the data is again saved in PostgreSQL. How are updates made in enterprise geodatabase handled? Do I have to republish the service.

Please let me know if my understanding is wrong.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Abhay,

> ArcGIS Data Store will be PostgreSQL and it will create a backup based on the service published

This statement is not quite correct. The ArcGIS Data Store is used to store content that supports hosted services in Portal.

> If I connect to enterprise geodatabase (ex. Oracle) and publish the service from Arc Pro, then the data is again saved in PostgreSQL.

Again, not quite correct. This only applies if you select the copy data option when you share your web layer. In which case, the data is copied from the enterprise geodatabase into the ArcGIS Data Store. If the source data is updated, you will need to re-share the web layer. If you select the referencing the registered data option, then the data will remain in the enterprise geodatabase.

FYI, Introduction to sharing web layers—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Please review the contents of this thread for a good discussion on enterprise geodatabase data stores vs. the ArcGIS Data Store,  ArcGIS Data Store and RDBMS? 

Hope this helps,