Is it possible to group categories in a bar chart?

09-06-2017 12:02 PM
MacGregorDriscoll
New Contributor

ArcGIS Pro question:

I'm creating a bar chart based for a layer I have in Pro. In my attribute table, I have 36 land use categories. They're all nuanced versions of broader designations. For example, "manufacturing and assembly" vs. "small shops (machine, tool, and die)" can both be grouped into the general "industrial" category. In the symbology pane, I'm able to group categories and narrow 36 down to 6 and color code just these 6 broad categories in my map.

For my bar chart, I just want to illustrate the number of parcels under these 6 broad designations. However, when I create a bar chart (with "land use" as the category, "count" as the aggregation method, and "from one or more fields" as my series type), I get 36 bars. I'd like to group these - just like my map layer - into 6 broad categories. Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
FloraVale
Esri Contributor

Hi barchiac‌,

In order to create a chart of those broader categories, you'll need a field in your attribute table for general land use type. Once you create this field you can use that as your bar chart category.

Flora