ArcGIS Pro 2.0 | How to move end of leader line?

10-18-2017 09:25 AM
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

In ArcMap, when editing annotation features in an Edit session, it is possible to click on the annotation itself to move it around and/or to click at the end of the leader line to adjust it if necessary.

In ArcGIS Pro, it is possible to easily click an annotation and move it around (despite I found it very slow), but how it is possible to adjust end of leader lines?

This is illustrated below. The mouse pointer shows the end of the leader line.

Tags (2)
18 Replies
AnuSawant
Occasional Contributor II

I have also found it hard to move it...infact impossible. Even when try to print the map that leader line disappeared from few places.I have asked this question and still waiting for reply. Unfortunately I had to switch back to ArcMap as it was urgent.But let me know if you find the solution.

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer

In addition to edting leader lines, accent bars are not available in ArcGIS Pro 2.0 for info...

0 Kudos
ShelleyMichael
New Contributor II

I've been having the same problem but have potentially found a workaround for now...

Following on from the correct answer to this post, Changing Leader Line Anchor Points in ArcGIS Pro - Annotations , I found that you can (just about) move your annotation and anchor point separately by using a combination of the Move and Annotation tools under Edit > Modify.

Whereas the Annotation tool moves only the annotation (stretching the leader line to accommodate this), the Move tool appears to 'pick up' the annotation, leader line and anchor point as a unit, meaning the anchor point can be moved also. Rather annoyingly though, whilst dragging the annotation using the Move tool you can't see the anchor point move, however after a bit of trial and error you should be able to judge the correct position.

I've found that using Annotation (move annotation) > Move (move anno + leader + anchor point) > Annotation (move annotation back closer to the anchor point) seems to work relatively well for now.

I've noticed a glitch in that remnants of the leader line may appear at certain zoom scales but will eventually disappear altogether - hopefully this is all addressed within future versions of Pro.

VincentLaunstorfer

Thanks Shelley. I tested that before but it was clearly inefficient! Hundreds of annotations moved that way drive you mad. In the interim, I do the most I can in Pro and still do editing in ArcMap 10.5.1

IngridMans
Occasional Contributor II

I'm in Pro 2.1 and now I'm unable to add call out text to a layout and move a leader line. The leader line point keeps snapping to its original location.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Vincent - in my ArcGIS Pro 2.1 BETA copy, it appears you can add, move, and delete leader lines using the Annotation tool in the Modify Features pane.  From what I hear, Pro 2.1 will be out January 2018.

VincentLaunstorfer

Looking forward testing Annotation tools in ArcGIS Pro 2.1...

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer

Hi,

I finally tested thoroughly the new Annotation tools in ArcGIS Pro 2.1, leader lines in particular.

It works but editing is rather slow and not slick. Moreover, from the Annotation pane, you cannot really add and remove leader lines. You have to go through Styles pane and create Text styles in order to add and/or remove leader lines in labels.

Also, switching between Annotation tool (from the toolbar) to Move or Attributes and back to Select and so on... It is somehow cumbersome and it clearly shows a usability problem. To me, it looks like there is room for improvement...

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Don't forget to upvote https://community.esri.com/ideas/10415 . 

0 Kudos