Can't Create Geodatabase on SQL Server Express

08-05-2014 02:03 AM
SerkanOrnek
New Contributor

Hello,

We are using ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 and we want to create a geodatabase on a SQL Server Express. We used the setup supplied with the ArcGIS 10.1 DVD. We created a SQL Server (2008 R2 Express edition) and enabled it to store geodatabases, and added this server to Database Servers in ArcCatalog. But when we want to create a new geodatabase on this server it gives an error and says "Error creating this geodatabase Operation Failed". I found the log file in the temp folder (sde_setup.log), and there is an error in creating STATE_LINEAGES table and an error code of -38. Every table before this created succesfully. I couldn't find any information about this error on the internet. Log file and screen capture of error attached to this post. Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
HalilKahraman
New Contributor

Database Collation must be Latin1_General_CI_AS.

If not, please follow these steps:

1. By using SQL Server Management Studio, in Object Explorer, connect to an instance of the SQL Server Database Engine, expand that instance, and then expand Databases.
2. Right-click Databases,select New Database, write the Database Name (for example, "GDB"), click the Options page, and select "Latin1_General_CI_AS" collation from the Collation drop-down list.
3. After you are finished, click OK.

4. Go to ArcMap/ArcCatalog application. From toolbox, select Geodatabase Administration/Create Enterprise  Geodatabase tool,  write the database name that you created before (in our example, "GDB") to the Database (Optional) box in Create Enterprise Geodatabase pane.

5. Do not check Sde Owned Schema checkbox. (Sde Owned Schema parameter is only active for SQL Server. If you use SQL Server Express database, you have to uncheck Sde Owned Schema checkbox.) For more information; Link1, Link2

5. Fill the other boxes with the appropriate data, click OK.

You will see the successfull geodatabase creation.

VyacheslavShymanovskyi
New Contributor

thanks for guidelines, should it be no need to install ArcSDE to create geodabase on SQL Express server, correct?

0 Kudos
TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

There is no installation for ArcSDE starting at 10.1.  

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

You will need the SDE setup, only if you are working with ArcSDE Personal geodatabase (Desktop Geodatabase) or ArcSDE Workgroup geodatabases. You will need to enable the SQL Server Express instance, using these setups before creating the Geodatabase.

However, if you want to create an Enterprise Geodatabase on a SQL Server Express instance, there is no setup for ArcSDE in that case, and this can be done from the Client interface (ArcGIS Desktop\ArcGIS Pro).

VyacheslavShymanovskyi
New Contributor

yes, no ArcSDE and that is why I slightly confused. I can't check now SQL Express configuration follow and advise above as it was installed by other.
I have only ArcGIS Desktop license and pre-installed SQL Express 13 but get error when creating Enterprise Geodatabase on a SQL Server Express, hope no other software I need to make it, even Database Server (Desktop) available in MyEsri account.

0 Kudos