The server the document is stored on may not be responding

Jump to solution
11-01-2017 03:06 PM
EoinMac_Ruid
New Contributor

I just did the latest updates to Microsoft Office 2016. But after updates I cannot open one very important Excel document. I click the file to open, the following message came: 'The server the document is stored on may not be responding'
So i uninstalled it and reinstalled Office and same thing. What's wrong? Any solution for this issue?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JorginhoLopes
New Contributor

You can first check if the file is read-only, on a read only location, or on a remote server. If the file is on a read only location or on a remote server, then try to copy the file from the read-only location or server to a writable drive on the local computer. The make sure you remove the read-only attribute of the Excel file.

For better suggestion on issues related with Excel recovery you can find here: http://www.xlsx.repair/ 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you using Esri Maps for Office?

The excel sheet might have got corrupt. You could try using the Built-in Repair function (Take a backup of the file before proceeding with the steps).

Here is the error I have with MS Excel 2016

1. In a blank Excel document, File > Open. In the Open dialog box, select the file you want to open, and click the arrow next to the Open button. Click Open and Repair, and then choose which method you want to use to recover your workbook.

Try Repair first. If that doesn't work, try Extract Data.

If the Built-in Repair function doesn't work you might need third-party tools like DataNumen Excel Repair - Best Excel recovery tool. Fix Excel files. 

Think Location
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Posting the question to Microsoft forum could be more beneficial.

Think Location
JorginhoLopes
New Contributor

You can first check if the file is read-only, on a read only location, or on a remote server. If the file is on a read only location or on a remote server, then try to copy the file from the read-only location or server to a writable drive on the local computer. The make sure you remove the read-only attribute of the Excel file.

For better suggestion on issues related with Excel recovery you can find here: http://www.xlsx.repair/