Autocad 2018 incompatible with with ArcGIS Desktop 10.5?

06-09-2017 09:19 AM
MandyCostley
New Contributor

Does anyone have any experience with Autocad 2018? The latest release doesn't seem to be compatible with ArcMap Desktop 10.5. I've tried running the CAD to GDB tool and adding the files in the table contents - both are coming up blank, when they would work fine with the previous Autocad 2017.  

I'm not very familiar with Autocad, but the drawing comes up with no issues in the cad environment. 

0 Kudos
17 Replies
GaryMartin1
New Contributor II

Cliff,

AutoCAD doesn't convert your drawings when you install it.  At least not in Windows. Your drawings are still in their original version until you open and save them in AutoCAD 2018. You can change a variable so that each time you save, the drawings will be saved to an earlier version of your choice. 

To set the default file save format in the AutoCAD Options:

1. Type OPTIONS on the AutoCAD command line.
  2. In the Options dialog, go to the "Open and Save" tab.
  3. In the "File Save" > "Save as" drop-down menu, set the desired file format.
  4. Click OK.

Hope this helps.  I wouldn't expect any help form AutoCAD, this is an ESRI issue. 

JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III

Short term solution without AutoCAD - install DWG True View (an official Autodesk DWG viewer), convert the file to 2013 version. This will also handle all X-REFs and other references and downgrade all to whathever older version you choose.  Backup your original 2018 DWG before converting. 

JayGeisen
New Contributor III

Does anyone know if AutoCAD 2018 files can be read in 10.6?

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Jay,

I am not sure. I am guessing not yet? The only way to know is to try. Either way, there is a workaround as stated above. Either:

Short term solution without AutoCAD - install DWG True View (an official Autodesk DWG viewer), convert the file to 2013 version. This will also handle all X-REFs and other references and downgrade all to whathever older version you choose.  Backup your original 2018 DWG before converting. 

Or

I have found that saving your drawings to an older version (2013) will allow you to add them normally without any problem. 
0 Kudos
JustinConnerWR
Occasional Contributor II

The feedback I received from ESRI support is that this can't be registered as a bug since it's a new AutoCAD release, and it isn't supported in 10.6 or Pro (Supported CAD formats in ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ).  They won't prioritize 2018 integration unless they get enough complaints to see it as critical for their users, and ESRI won't release 2018 support as a patch for any existing Desktop version.

JasonDickeson1
New Contributor

So where do we go to lodge a complaint and get this moving up the list?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You might have better luck with launching an Idea ArcGIS Ideas

0 Kudos
JustinConnerWR
Occasional Contributor II
0 Kudos