ArcGIS Desktop on Win10 .. where's the authorization file ?

Jump to solution
10-20-2017 02:38 PM
MikeMoran
New Contributor II

Trying to use ArcGIS Desktop  ( aka ArcMap advanced) to create the geospatial db in PostgreSQL.   Everything goes well until I get down to needing to provided the Authorization file..  everything I see says it should be named

arcgis_server.*  ... in my install .. there is no such file.

So the questions are .. where is it on Win10 and what is it called ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you have license for ArcGIS Enterprise?

For creating an Enterprise Geodatabase, you will need a license of ArcGIS Server Enterprise (any level).

Create a geodatabase in PostgreSQL on Windows—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

You need an ArcGIS Server (enterprise edition) keycodes file to authorize your geodatabase in the next section. Even if you do not run a Python script from an ArcGIS Server machine to create the geodatabase, you must install and authorize ArcGIS Server to get the keycodes file. You may need to copy the keycodes file from the ArcGIS Server machine to a location that the Create Enterprise Geodatabase geoprocessing tool can access.

Think Location

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you have license for ArcGIS Enterprise?

For creating an Enterprise Geodatabase, you will need a license of ArcGIS Server Enterprise (any level).

Create a geodatabase in PostgreSQL on Windows—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

You need an ArcGIS Server (enterprise edition) keycodes file to authorize your geodatabase in the next section. Even if you do not run a Python script from an ArcGIS Server machine to create the geodatabase, you must install and authorize ArcGIS Server to get the keycodes file. You may need to copy the keycodes file from the ArcGIS Server machine to a location that the Create Enterprise Geodatabase geoprocessing tool can access.

Think Location
MikeMoran
New Contributor II

Thanks.   That also tells me that what I'm trying to do is impossible without at least one enterprise license, which save me a lot of work.

0 Kudos
JoelHickok
New Contributor II

Even though a correct answer has been indicated, and the original poster realized that this authorization file was not even needed, in my organization the actual correct answer to the question that was asked is that the authorization file is located at an installation path that should like this for ArcGIS 10.x in Windows 10:

C:\Program Files\ESRI\License10.6\sysgen\keycodes

Find that keycodes file for the Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool, but of course replace the 10.x with the appropriate version.

Create Enterprise Geodatabase dialog

0 Kudos