conditional classification of shapefile polygons

10-18-2017 08:45 AM
Labels (1)
FlorianDolder1
New Contributor

In my GIS project I have to manage the following task: On the one hand I have a polygon shapefile which shows districts. On the other hand I have a polygon shapefile that shows how mountainous the area is, differentiated in 6 different categories. Simple lying the mountain shapefile over the district shapefile shows, that some districts are within the mountain area, others have only small areas that count as mountainous according to the mountain shapefile.

My aim is to get a polygon shapefile, that shows the district and gives to every district one single mountain classification. The classification should be determined according to the largest proportion of the mountain level in the corresponding district. I other words: A district is to 30 per cent in mountain level 1 and to 70 per cent in mountain level 2, thus it should be classified as district in mountain level 2. And so on and so forth.

Attached you find screenshots of the two shapefiles (districts / mountain categories).

I am convinced that this task isn’t very extraordinary and so I hope you can give me a hint with which function and steps I can manage the task outlined above!

Thank you very much!!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

1.) Calculate total area of districts into a new field

2.) Intersect districts with mountain classes

3.) Dissolve intersected polygons by district ID, district area, and mountain class

4.) Calculate area for dissolved polygons. Now each polygon has its own area and the district area.

5.) Divide polygon area by district area to get proportions

6.) Dissolve again by district ID, mountain class, and proportion, also calculating MAX proportion

7.) Delete any features where proportion <> max proportion

8.) Join back to districts by district ID