Install GeoEvent Server on Separate Machine

Jump to solution
08-24-2017 12:09 PM
MatthewDowning2
New Contributor III

I just want to make sure I am following the correct workflow. I already have a base deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5 up and running with a federated and hosting ArcGIS Server.

I'm now trying to install GeoEvent Server 10.5 on a separate machine from ArcGIS Server. In order for me to do this I think I have to first install ArcGIS Server on this separate machine and authorize it using the ArcGIS Server provisioning file, join the existing ArcGIS Server site. Then install GeoEvent Server on this machine and authorize with the GeoEvent provisioning file.

Does this require the purchase of 2 ArcGIS Server licenses?

Is this the correct workflow?

GeoEventEnterprise GISDerek LawRJ Sunderman

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisBeyett
Occasional Contributor

Hi Matthew, 

At 10.5 the licensing level changed models to be more function-based. The workflow you describe was primarily used from the 10.2.x to 10.4.x versions and was redundant. I'll outline the workflow you need for 10.5.x below:

There are four different license levels for ArcGIS Server, all corresponding to a different function:

1. GIS Server

2. Image Server

3. GeoAnalytics Server

4. GeoEvent Server

To properly install the GeoEvent Server on a separate machine please do the following:

1. Install the ArcGIS Server software

2. License this software with the GeoEvent Server license or provisioning file

3. This action dedicates the ArcGIS Server to run the "GeoEvent" function

4. Install the GeoEvent Server software

5. License the software with the same GeoEvent Server license or provisioning file

6. This activates the GeoEvent software and allows you to build real-time services

This new function-based workflow ends up saving your licenses for dedicated functions, as you don't have to double up on licenses for installations. 

Hope this helps, 

Chris

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ChrisBeyett
Occasional Contributor

Hi Matthew, 

At 10.5 the licensing level changed models to be more function-based. The workflow you describe was primarily used from the 10.2.x to 10.4.x versions and was redundant. I'll outline the workflow you need for 10.5.x below:

There are four different license levels for ArcGIS Server, all corresponding to a different function:

1. GIS Server

2. Image Server

3. GeoAnalytics Server

4. GeoEvent Server

To properly install the GeoEvent Server on a separate machine please do the following:

1. Install the ArcGIS Server software

2. License this software with the GeoEvent Server license or provisioning file

3. This action dedicates the ArcGIS Server to run the "GeoEvent" function

4. Install the GeoEvent Server software

5. License the software with the same GeoEvent Server license or provisioning file

6. This activates the GeoEvent software and allows you to build real-time services

This new function-based workflow ends up saving your licenses for dedicated functions, as you don't have to double up on licenses for installations. 

Hope this helps, 

Chris

MatthewDowning2
New Contributor III

After step 3 do you continue with the ArcGIS Server configuration and 'join an existing site' or do you not configure this ArcGIS Server at all?

0 Kudos
ChrisBeyett
Occasional Contributor

Hi Matthew, 

You would select the "Create New Site" button and configure a new ArcGIS Server. At the 10.5 version, GeoEvent will not work properly if you attempt to join an existing site. The team is working on creating a specific workflow for multiple servers, but at this time GeoEvent needs to be configured with an ArcGIS Server running on its own site.

- Chris

MatthewDowning2
New Contributor III

Now if I wanted to integrate Geoevent with Portal I would need to federate this Geoevent Server with Portal? Or just register my Portal ArcGIS Server with Geoevent Manager?

And I would also need to set up SSL on this Geoevent Server as well. But then when I log into Geoevent manager wouldn't that force me to use "geoeventServer.domain:6143/geoevent/manager"?

0 Kudos
ChrisBeyett
Occasional Contributor

If you wanted to integrate Portal with GeoEvent, you would need to federate this new GeoEvent Server with Portal. You are correct that CA-signed SSL certificate must be installed on the GeoEvent Machine in order for everything to work. 

You are also correct in that you would need to use the geoeventServer.domain:6143/geoevent/manager URL, as this will be the URL of the new GeoEvent machine. This concept works for other license "function" levels including GIS Server, GeoAnalytics Server and Image Server. I drew the image below to underscore how the concept of the levels work and the general architecture at the 10.5.x version.

Function Level Diagram

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Matthew,

Just to add onto Chris Beyett's answers, for more background on this statement:

> There are four different license levels for ArcGIS Server, all corresponding to a different function:

1. GIS Server

2. Image Server

3. GeoAnalytics Server

4. GeoEvent Server

Please see this help topic,

About ArcGIS Server licensing roles—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hope this helps,

AdrienHafner
Occasional Contributor

Hi Chris,

We're in the same boat as the author.  We have an ArcGIS Server 10.5.1 deployment installed on one machine.  We also installed the spatiotemporal big data store on that server site (but residing on a different virtual machine).  We followed the steps above for installing ArcGIS Server/GeoEvent Server on a second machine, but were never prompted during the process to enter the site name/URL/credentials for the base deployment ArcGIS Server site.  When/where/how in the steps outlined above would we do that?

Thanks,

Adrien

0 Kudos
Arturo_FranciscoAcosta_Bazán
Occasional Contributor

In the process you mention, with respect to the separate server that hosted the Geoevent
  --It is understood that the GIS Server was already installed with its own license (provisioning) --refers to use the same license Geoevent  / provisioning 02 times .
The first time (step 2 and 3), then the same provisioning file is used to be able generate the events in real time (step 5 - 6)
If you look at your myesri you will see that the license geoevent has been used or consumed 02 times. I have an ELA and I have been able to observe it
But for cases that only GIS Server has been acquired and additionally the capacity of Geovent - are 02 separate provisioning,
Does the provisioning file (of the geovent) use 02 times the same code ?

0 Kudos
deleted-user-8KkqhMYcTNGx
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for this post, and thank you for the answers on this post. Would it be possible to Chris Beyett‌'s steps on this documentation page Installing GeoEvent Server—Installation Guides (10.5) | ArcGIS Enterprise That would make trying to figure this out a little easier. Thank you for everything and have a delightful day.

Sincerely,

Joe Guzi