Generate Near Table Analysis

Jump to solution
10-10-2017 09:03 AM
CassidyQuistorff1
New Contributor II

Hello all,

I have two point layers on a map. One of which is the centroid of a polygon, the other is points from a KML layer. I am trying to use the generate near table analysis tool to find the distance from these centroids to the nearest point from the KML-to-layer layer. However, every time I try and use this tool, the table generates zero results. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

There is a similar post in StackExchange.  The workaround apparently is to use the Copy Features (Data Management) geoprocessing tool to do the export.

There was an error exporting the layer from ArcGIS for Desktop? - Geographic Information Systems Sta... 

Copy Features—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Chris Donohue, GISP

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JosephCarter
Occasional Contributor

Try exporting each to a shapefile, use the data frame coordinate system upon export, and try again.

0 Kudos
CassidyQuistorff1
New Contributor II

Hi Joseph, thanks for your response! I had no problem converting one of the layers, however the other won't convert. Is that because it is part of a geodatabase?

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

It is suspicious that the layer does not convert.  Was there an error message that accompanied it when the conversion was attempted?

Also, I would check to be certain that both layers have assigned coordinate systems.  It may be that one layer does not have an assigned coordinate system, but visually lines up in ArcMap as the coordinate system is already set for the Data Frame that is being used to view it (the data frame inherits the coordinate system from the first layer brought in). 

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
CassidyQuistorff1
New Contributor II

Hi Chris,

There is no error code, it simply shows up with this. 

It is on a coordinate system- WGS_GCS_1984

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

There is a similar post in StackExchange.  The workaround apparently is to use the Copy Features (Data Management) geoprocessing tool to do the export.

There was an error exporting the layer from ArcGIS for Desktop? - Geographic Information Systems Sta... 

Copy Features—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Chris Donohue, GISP

CassidyQuistorff1
New Contributor II

Oh wow, that worked! Thank you so much.