ArcGIS crashes when opening multiple cad dwg files

10-02-2017 10:33 AM
SoukNomichith
New Contributor

ArcGIS crashes when opening multiple cad dwg files. How do we fix it?

To recreate this issue. Open up another dwg file within ArcGIS for AutoCAD resulting in 2 dwg files in AutoCAD.

Switch between each dwg by clicking on the tab identifying each drawing. Then it will crash. See attached photo of the error.

As a work around I am trying to run a separate instance of ArcGIS for AutoCAD. It will still crash sometimes. We have been losing unsaved work so I advised several of my colleagues to save often.

Version of AutoCAD: 2017

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The first question is.... does this happen with all cad files of the same type?

0 Kudos
SoukNomichith
New Contributor

I just tested your question. I had an ArcGIS enabled drawing open and opened up a blank dwg with nothing in it. Switched between the 2 drawing tabs and it crashes.

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a blank dwg? I mean, open up files that have not caused you problems before.  I am trying to rule out data issues from installation issues

SoukNomichith
New Contributor

Apologies for my explanation. Testing on two brand new blank drawings does not crash. It could be the drawing I am working with. I have audited the cad file with zero errors. I could possibly be data issues.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JonDay
by
New Contributor

Any update for this as getting exactly the same issue in AutoCAD Map 3D 2017.

Also, we have installed AutoCAD Map 3D 2018 to attempt to resolve this only to encounter a 'No valid version of AutoCAD found' error?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Nothing out of sorts in the supported list?

0 Kudos