Picture when sharing on Facebook?

Jump to solution
10-04-2017 06:01 AM
SesilieHalland
New Contributor

When one shares a Story Map on Facebook the link is pretty boring, it doesn't collect and show any pictures from the Story Map with the link. Is it possible to do anything about that? I know that I can upload a picture to Facebook with the post, but that doesn't help when others share it. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Make sure you have filled out the item page for the story map on ArcGIS Online. The facebook link preview will use the title, subtitle, and thumbnail from the item page.

If you have already updated your item page but you are still seeing old content, you can request Facebook to clear their cache and request the new information with this tool: https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/og/object/. Just enter the URL to the story and click the "Fetch new scrape information."

If you are getting the correct title and subtitle, try waiting a few minutes and sharing the link a couple times. Facebook does not cache the photo the first time a link is shared.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Sesilie,

Can you give more details to what you are seeing (or not seeing)? Which Story Map?

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Oh, I get it, the preview picture that is automatically generated on Facebook when you share a link in a post.

Yes, I agree! It would be helpful to have something generated there that is more appealing that what appears by default (like either the thumbnail, or an Esri logo, or anything really!). I wonder if this should be in the https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas?sr=search&searchId=6dfc724b-7e02-4b2f-9c6d-1d3b115...‌ section?

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Make sure you have filled out the item page for the story map on ArcGIS Online. The facebook link preview will use the title, subtitle, and thumbnail from the item page.

If you have already updated your item page but you are still seeing old content, you can request Facebook to clear their cache and request the new information with this tool: https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/og/object/. Just enter the URL to the story and click the "Fetch new scrape information."

If you are getting the correct title and subtitle, try waiting a few minutes and sharing the link a couple times. Facebook does not cache the photo the first time a link is shared.

SesilieHalland
New Contributor

Aha, yes that is the solution. Thank you Sylvia! I didn't know that it was from there the sharing picture was found, but I see that now!

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Won't it look kind of silly to share the same content multiple times in order for Facebook to be forced to behave? I suppose you can delete the former content once the image shows up. Or is it possible to share the link to "Only Me" a few times and have it work this way (then make it public)?

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Yep, I would just share to "Only Me" and/or delete previous posts.

0 Kudos