ArcMap 10.5.1 Properties slow

09-04-2017 10:42 AM
JulianJungfels1
New Contributor II

Hi, clicking on  "Properties" results in a wait time of 10 Seconds. ArcMap 10.5.1. Set up new MXD, no big files just aerial photos and shome shapes. 

69 Replies
MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

Looks like I have about 700MB cached.  I can clear that, and have done that in the past, but forgot about it.  Should be #15 on the troubleshooting list...

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Did clearing the cache resolve the latency issue?

MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

Also, C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ArcGIS does not contain "Desktop10.0" folder.  There is a "Third Party" folder, but the nested folders do not contain a "CATID" folder or any files with ECFG extensions.  Did I mention I am using 10.5.1?  

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, the 10.0 folder should have been rephrased 10.x for your particular setup.  So 10.3 for your set-up.  Sometimes the existence of these folders mess up the upgrade.

MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

Cleared that cache, and checked my virtual memory settings again.  There is a little over a Gig.  It's system managed.  Ran a program called Advanced SystemCare that clears system caches, defragments, updates drivers and all kinds of diagnostics (works well for keeping the computer error free and speedy in general).  Rebooted.  Shutdown real-time antivirus scanning and tried ArcMap again.  No change with double-clicking items in the table of contents to get to the properties of both local and network sourced layers.  

I see.  10.3 was not there either, just "bin", "Help", "Support" and "ThirdParty".  

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Okay - thx for the update.  Question for you - when you upgraded to 10.5.1, did you do a clean uninstall of 10.3?  Meaning you went to Uninstall programs via the Control Panel and then a clean install of 10.5.1?

MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

I did an upgrade from 10.3.1 to 10.5.1 as lead by the install software.  

Also, my computer meets all the minimum requirements except for 2.2 ghz processor.  Mine is 1.7, but those were the same requirements for 10.3.1 which worked fine.  

If I do a fresh install, I will just downgrade back to 10.3.1 and be done with it.  Nothing revolutionary in 10.5.1 in my opinion...

Thanks for the help though, I do appreciate it.  

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Understand - last thing you may want to review is this thread - interesting things about SQL Server (if you use that RDBMS) and deleting and/or renaming Esri folders - could be worth a try - https://community.esri.com/thread/190605-arcmap-105-slow-performance

MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

Yeah, I guess I hopped on the wrong thread.  I do use SQL server for one geodatabase that we "team edit".  Terry A had the same exact symptoms and I followed similar steps to try to resolve them.  I did upgrade the server workgroup program and to SQL Server 2014 since 10.5.1 required it and it was backward compatible with 10.3.1 (for my co-workers). 

Funny that it didn't come up in my initial search of the forum.  Maybe the way I typed it in?  I guess I was being specific to 10.5.1. as opposed to 10.5.  I do usually hop on a few related threads to maximize my exposure.  Usually, I try to stick with newer ones since hopping on ones 6 months ago does not usually produce an interested party like yourself.  

I will continue reading it and see what conclusion they came to.  Thanks for the lead.  

MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

I started diving into SQL as the problem.  Recently windows updates for my server suggested that I upgrade SQL server 2014 to Service Pack 2 as an optional update.  It seems I have a SQL 2014 version from July 2015 (it was quite difficult to figure this out BTW).  I plan to install the update today at the end of the day, but something I found recently was an ArcMap patch that deals with SQL:  ArcGIS 10.5.1 (Desktop, Engine, Server) SQL Server Permissions Patch.  I tried installing that before uninstalling, cleaning up leftovers and running a registry sweep for anything ArcGIS. 

Although the SQL patch deals more with server permissions and not really the issues being brought up in the other thread, it seemed to speed things up!  Specifically, it lets loose the chokehold on bringing up properties (the core issue that started the thread).  Georeferencing goes much smoother...

In regard to the other thread, it seems you were going somewhere with having a fresh install.  I shot it down in frustration, my bad.  Being that I have a concurrent license there are certain things that have to be done to check out a license.  I like to upgrade when I can because I don't have to play with those settings again.  

My hope is that ESRI found the real cause and delivered it in this SQL patch.  If not, I will try the fresh install.