Creating a geodatabase for imported Autocad

09-27-2017 12:09 PM
PeterSharkey
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am new at understanding ArcGIS and ArcMap. What I have is a lot of AutoCAD geometery that I want to import into Arcmap. I then want to create/insert data to that geometry in Arcmap. I have no problem with getting cad geometry into Arcmap. It's just that I don't know what tutorial or step to take next to start to crate a geodatabase for all of that new geometry just imported.

I'm eager to watch the right tutorials. As I go through some of the getting started tutorials I have found they don't address how to take newly imported CAD data and then connect them to a database that I can then view in an attribute table.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Peter,

Good question. Take a look at this site:

Create a file geodatabase—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

It walks through how to create a geodatabase using the Create File GDB Tool. There are many ways to create a geodatabase but this is one way.

Looking in Google, here is a very long video that appears to walk through making a geodatabase (but I didn't have patience to watch it all the way through). They are using ArcMap 10.1 but the concept should still apply to 10.5 (or whatever you are using):

Creating a File Geodatabase in ArcMap 10.1 - YouTube 

0 Kudos
PeterSharkey
New Contributor III

Thank you for that video link Adrian. I guess sometimes I get stuck on technical jargon and points made like "setting the geocoordinates for your gdb by selecting from the available list" at which point I ask, "Woah which coordinate system do I choose??" I have a lot to learn.

I watched that video this morning but it left me with a couple of questions. I'm not worried, I'll get there.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Feel free to fire away with questions here. That's what the forums are for. Don't worry too much about coordinates and such. That can be dealt with later. It shouldn't be a show-stopper by any means. You can just choose the default of simply skip over it since coordinate reference data will be stored in the feature class (GIS layer) itself.

0 Kudos