AutoCAD and ArcGIS integration - Ideas and Feedback

01-05-2016 05:28 PM
RandallClark2
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Geonet,

I am currently working in a very CAD centric environment and we exploring how we integrate GIS with AutoCAD.

We are currently using AutoCAD for ninety percent of the work that we do but as we get more in to the GIS we are realizing that we need to come up with a good work flow for managing data and integrating GIS and AutoCAD.

What we are looking at is migrating all or at least the important stuff in from AutoCAD to a enterprise geo-database managed using ArcGIS. The data will then be pushed out from the database our server and then  to various web maps and applications and then pulled into AutoCAD.

The key on this last point will be using ArcGIS for AutoCAD.

Im think QA and QC will be maintained by using version. I am guessing i will have a version of the database that is used strictly for autoCAD. This version will be used for edits to be made in AutoCAD and will be QA/QC before being posted back to the database.

So yes i am looking for feed back on this and/or any ideas/stories for people that have explored integrating GIS and AutoCAD like this.

Thanks

15 Replies
AaronCheuvront1
New Contributor II

Hi Randall,

Good news!  I am working on a new version of my enhanced/automated ArcGIS for AutoCAD tool that will allow you to define your GIS and CAD schemas and it will create the featurecalsses and assign data in AutoCAD using the ArcGIS for AutoCAD methodology.  I have the core system built but also looking at features that are needed that I don't have.  I have started asking people if they would be interested in my limited development group.  If you are interested, let me know.  It sounds like what you are needing is exactly what I am trying to solve.

My whole philosophy with CAD/GIS integration is from the perspective of the CAD users and being able to create the best possible CAD drawings for GIS to consume.  This is especially important when the CAD drawing will continue to be maintained and re-integrated with GIS.  This makes the GIS side much easier and fixes issues at the source.

I am very interested in what you are needing to be done in detail.  Let me know if I can help.

Aaron

0 Kudos
RandallClark2

Hi Arron,

You got my attention. I would be willing to talk. Shoot me a PM and i will send you my email. And we can talk a little more

0 Kudos
AaronCheuvront1
New Contributor II

Randall,

I didn't realize I was using the wrong esri account when I replied earlier.  I meant to post under my UW account but I am having problems with it right now.  I am the guy from the University of Washington that Ben was mentioning (I think).

Before you change your CAD drawings to deal with the coordinate system, you might want to check out how I create a word file to deal with georeferencing.  It doesn't require any changes to the CAD drawings and is a 100% CAD focused process. FloorplanGIS Quick Demo - YouTube this is the old code that I am working on replacing.  It will have similar functionality but be much more flexible and not just specific to floorplans.

RandallClark2

haha i just had "ahaha" moment . i recognize you name your name and yes what you did and are doing at UW is one of the first case studies i came across.

and thanks i will check out the link and now i know how to get ahold of the person that made if i have questions.

0 Kudos
Benjamin_Amissah_Ocran
New Contributor

Hi Aaron,

Did you finally achieve this ? 

0 Kudos
DanJames
New Contributor II

Has anyone came across that when editing a feature in the ArcGIS feature service the last_edited_by field gets populated with Esri_Anonymous? Does anyone know how to force AutoCAD to use the logged in user name in order to complete the editor tracking loop? Time is OK, but it would also be nice to get the user's name.

Thank you for any help. 

#arcgis for autocad 2016

0 Kudos