Do storymaps need internet access?

Jump to solution
07-30-2017 11:51 AM
CaraMayo2
New Contributor III

I'm interested in possibly using a storymap as an interface for an interactive educational mobile kiosk that won't have internet access. If I downloaded the storymap and all media related to it would a storymap still work on a kiosk with no internet access? I'm new to this field so this question may be fairly simple. I'm mostly worried about the fact that the kiosk won't have internet access so arcgis online becomes obsolete. But it seems like if we can just download all of the information and media we need onto a hard drive or something it should work just fine.

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

To quote the Storymap help

Frequently Asked Questions | Story Maps        

Currently story maps do not support offline usage. To use your story map, your end users need to be connected to the Internet, or to your enterprise network in the case of Portal for ArcGIS. The Story Map Journal app has a print option (accessed via the Link button in its header) that can be used to create a PDF file.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

To quote the Storymap help

Frequently Asked Questions | Story Maps        

Currently story maps do not support offline usage. To use your story map, your end users need to be connected to the Internet, or to your enterprise network in the case of Portal for ArcGIS. The Story Map Journal app has a print option (accessed via the Link button in its header) that can be used to create a PDF file.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Cara,

Here is a similar question asked a little while ago:

Playing story maps from local drives 

As Dan pointed out, you need internet access, basically (it would be really challenging to make workarounds for this to work offline).

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/storymaps?sr=search&searchId=49d1eb87-3a56-47e3-8d4...

diegocarvalho
New Contributor III

ESRI should consider a way to make offline Storymaps available right now. Internet connection should not be a restriction to present the story. Storymaps are fancy and very interesting, but this basic flaw still make people prefer the old Power Point presentations...

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

There are two different ArcGIS Ideas‌ you can vote up regarding offline maps:

Offline Story Maps 

https://community.esri.com/ideas/11037