Is there an export selected features option within ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
08-02-2017 07:55 AM
BrianParr3
New Contributor II

With ArcMap I can export selected features by right clicking the layer in the table of contents and then choose data>export features. From there, and by default, only the selected records are exported. In Pro, I also have the option to export features, but I cannot find an option to only export the selected features. Anyone know if there's a simple way to export the selected features? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

Brian

The Copy Features tool (accessed by right clicking on a layer in the Table of Contents > Data > Export Features) honors selected features...this should do the trick.

Kyle

View solution in original post

19 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor
BrianParr3
New Contributor II

Thanks, I have looked there, while similar, and while I'd like that function too, they are different functions. One creates a virtual layer in the project or mxd (create layer from selection) while the other create a new feature class stored in a gdb or shapefile (data>export features).

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP

Brian

The Copy Features tool (accessed by right clicking on a layer in the Table of Contents > Data > Export Features) honors selected features...this should do the trick.

Kyle

BrianParr3
New Contributor II

Thanks, not sure how I missed that. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Got Late

Think Location
0 Kudos
AndrewQuee

Has this functionality changed?  I found this after getting frustrated as Brian did because when I use layer > Data > Export Features I get the Feature Class to Feature Class GP tool.  I can't find any option/environment setting on it to use 'only selected features' which was a really annoyance when suddenly exporting 2M features instead of one.

Demo of layer data export functionality at 2.5.0

Yes, I can change to the Copy Features tool which does honour selections by default.  However this is not the same as what ArcMap does, and what everyone expects.  I thought we had equivalent functionality?  

Demo of layer data export functionality at 10.6.1

Shown: Pro 2.5.0, Desktop 10.6.1

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

The tool that is launched through right-click > Export Features did change from Copy Features to Feature Class to Feature Class in the past (I don't recall if it was at 2.3 or 2.4, but it was before 2.5).  

Regardless, geoprocessing tools should honor a selection.  Run a geoprocessing tool—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

"Select a layer from a list of map layers. If the layer has a selection, only the selected features will be processed."

Are you not seeing the selection honored?  I just did a quick test in 2.5.1 and it works as expected.

AndrewQuee

Thanks for the clarification Kory.  My experience was that it was all features not just the selected one (Copy features Gp was successful and did honour selection)  I'm on another task but will return to this by next week and check again.  I can also do a 2.5.0 vs 2.5.1 test if required.