Future of ArcGIS for Windows Mobile

Jump to solution
12-12-2014 01:21 PM
NickHetrick
Occasional Contributor II

I am having a really hard time trying to figure out if ESRI has ended development on ArcGIS for Windows Mobile. I don't see a 10.3 version or can I even find the status of this product. We assumed it is being replaced by collector but I am still using it and would like to know the status so we can plan migrating off of it. Maybe someone from ESRI could chime in?

0 Kudos
26 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Just a quick update.  I've tested mobile cache creation and mobile sync tools on desktop 10.2.2 against a map and mobile service published to ArcServer 10.3 from a 10.2.2 desktop and there are no issues.  I have also successfully synced a mobile cache with with it's 10.3 service with no issues. 

I will be testing the mobile project center projects against 10.3 mobile content server for any sync issues and report back.

David

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

As noted earlier - I have successfully downloaded a mobile project from ArcServer 10.3 mobile content server and synchronized downloads and uploads from a 10.2 mobile project deployed on Windows 7-64.  I am unable to test a Windows Mobile deployment. 

By keeping a desktop at one of the 10.2 releases, you can continue to publish a map and mobile service to ArcServer 10.3, create the necessary mobile cache, download projects from the mobile content server, and synchronize data changes back to the server.

As soon as ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.2.1 comes out, I can update my remaining desktops.

David

0 Kudos
JuanLuera
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All!

Our developers have released 10.2.1 update to ArcGIS for Windows Mobile. which is compatible with Desktop 10.3.

From My Esri (customers.esri.com) in the following location:

My Organizations tab > Downloads > ArcGIS for Desktop 10.3
Additional Products >  ArcGIS 10.2.1 for Windows Mobile (compatible with ArcGIS 10.3)

Gracias, All!

Juan

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Yep, I got it Juan, thanks.  Appears to be working well across python, mpc, sdk

0 Kudos
JoshuaYoung
New Contributor III

Is there a change log for the 10.2.1 release?

On a side note, don't install ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.2.1 if you are using Trimble Positions. Trimble Positions currently does not support 10.2.1 (I tried updating before Trimble officially announced the incompatibility) and if you have upgraded to ArcGIS for Desktop 10.3 you have to roll back to ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.2 to get the mobile tools to activate again. It's things like this that make me look forward to the changes coming in ArcGIS Collector later this year. It has not been much fun trying to keep ArcGIS and Trimble in sync with each other, though I will admit Trimble has gotten better about releasing close to if not before major Esri updates.

0 Kudos
MauriceJohns
New Contributor II

Hi Juan, do you know if the developers have any plans to release any future versions of ArcGIS for Windows Mobile that are compatible with newer versions of ArcGIS for Desktop? We just purchased a Trimble GPS unit and we are trying to figure out the best software to use. I saw on the ESRI product life cycle page that support ends for ArcGIS for Windows Mobile later this year and will end for the latest version of ArcPad in 2019. Will there be anything for users of Windows Mobile devices going forward that use an ArcGIS Desktop workflow instead of ArcGIS online?

0 Kudos
MaximilianGlas
Esri Contributor

There are no further plans to release a new version of ArcGIS for Windows Mobile. And as you already realized, ArcPad will be the only product supporting the Windows Mobile plattform for a few more years.

As far as I know there are no plans to bring the ArcGIS Runtime product to Windows Mobile plattform.

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Also at 10.5 Mobile Data Access is no longer an option for ArcEnterprise.  10.5 Desktop will still support the Create Mobile Cache and Sync Mobile Cache gp tools provided you have previously installed mobile 10.2.1 update utility tools at Desktop 10.4x as ArcServer10.4x supports Mobile Data Access

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

My comment above does still apply to Desktop 10.5.1.  That is, as long as you have previously installed the mobile 10.2.1 update utility tools when Desktop at 10.4.x was installed, the tools' functionality still works.  I tested last week with creating a mobile cache.  Be sure you are disabling background 64-bit gp in Catalog before running the tools

0 Kudos
cpmgisuser
New Contributor III

Can I just add that I am in a difficult situation regarding the lack of access to the Mobile Toolbox now I am running Desktop v10.4.1

This is mainly due to the workflows we have implemented relying on Trimble Positions Desktop Add-In, part of the Trimble Positions Software Suite.

Esri appear to have forgotten their relationship with Trimble using this Application to provide High Precision Mobile Mapping using these Trimble Tools.

Trimble are happy to keep maintaining their application even though Esri are racing ahead dumping ArcGIS for Windows Mobile?

Without Mobile Toolbox I cannot continue to use this solution with the GPS equipment and software we invested in!

0 Kudos