How to write a if conditional stored in a variable?

Jump to solution
07-10-2017 10:26 AM
VishalShah2
Occasional Contributor II

I am currently writing a script where it's to automate generating reports for end of quarter reports. Part of the naming convention for the folders includes Q1, Q2, Q3, or Q4 based on which quarter it is for based on the date it is generated. So far, my code looks like this:

import arcpy
import datetime

date = datetime.date.today()

quarter = 'Q1' if '2017-01-01' =< str(date) =< '2017-03-31' elif 'Q2' if '2017-04-01' =< str(date) =< '2017-06-30' elif 'Q3' if '2017-07-01' =< str(date) =< '2017-09-30' else 'Q4'‍‍‍‍‍‍

My issue is that I get an output of Q4 when I try

print quarter‍

. The output generated should have been Q3 as I ran this today (July 10, 2017). If I change the ending of the code to be

'Q4' if '2017-10-01' =< str(date) =< '2017-12-31'‍‍

, the result would be a syntax error. What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it but also stored the if conditional in one line and set it equal to the variable quarter?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
VishalShah2

I agree Alexander, realized that after I had responded to Kevin's approach. As of right now, I have my tool set to the function method you provided. Made notes of the method tat Blake suggested too (that one I don't think you have to alter the code on a yearly basis).

0 Kudos
AlexanderBrown5

Just glad we could help you out! Now you have a lot of options.

~Alex

VishalShah2

Much appreciated! Thank you once again!

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

While we are on the topic of time.... Richard Fairhurst's blog ... I've saved time in a bottle ...how do i get it back out doing more with... totally forgot about that one.