Serious Application Error - ArcGIS Pro

05-03-2017 08:14 AM
JoelAvery1
New Contributor

I am currently working through the exercises in the Getting To Know ArcGIS Pro workbook.  So far there has been no issue with the software.  Working on Exercise 7A consists of  joining a .csv table to a feature class.  After the join, a field is added to the feature class table.  Calculate Field is then used on the new field to populate it (page 270).  After I right click and select Calculate Field, ArcGIS Pro exits the program and gives the error message "ArcGIS Pro has encountered a serious application error and is unable to continue'.

I thought this maybe an error in the data or a know software glitch, so I skipped ahead to Chapter 8, Exercise 8A.  In the exercise some points are selected and then exported from a layer.  A selection is run on the newly created layer (page 314) and the program exits again with the same error message.

Trying to learn this software so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Joel,

What version of Pro are you using?

I get the serious application error at times as well, I just figure I have to do a slightly different process in order to not get the error again (it all depends on what I am doing).

0 Kudos
JoelAvery1
New Contributor

Hi Adrian,

I am using 1.4.0

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Joel,

I don't have this book so I cannot really look at all the info on the page or fully test with the same data. 

But, I would suggest potentially upgrading to 1.4.1 but I am not confident that will solve your problem.

For the joined feature class, it is usually best to export to a new feature class after joining, then perform the calculate field action on the exported feature class. That might resolve the first issue. Pro is weird about certain things it does not like and will just kick you out and not give an explanation.... (unfortunately). Finding the work around is the only solution I have seen for now (or waiting until 2.0 comes out next month).

When you say 

A selection is run on the newly created layer

, can you define that a little better as to what is happening?

Thanks,

Adrian

0 Kudos
JoelAvery1
New Contributor

I am using the ‘Select Layer By Attribute’ command on the newly created layer.

And this now works? Sorry I think I did not set up the Expressions.

I will need to get an IT person with administration privileges to upgrade to ArcGIS Pro 1.4.1. After the upgrade, I will let you know how it goes using the Calculate Field command.

Thanks,

Joel

0 Kudos
JoelAvery1
New Contributor

Hi Adrian,

I had ArcGIS Pro 1.4.1 loaded and the error still occurred. I took your advice and exported the jointed table to a new feature class. Then did the Calculate Field command on the new feature classes table and it worked! So I guess we can officially call that a bug in the ArcGIS Pro software.

Thanks for your help and have a good weekend.

Joel

0 Kudos
AlyciaRajendran_esri
Esri Contributor

Hi Joel!

This is a known issue with the tutorial data. Please see this link: ArcGIS Pro crashed when perform Calculate Field

Thank you for your input!