Minimalist App: How to remove "powered by ESRI" and replace with text and a hyperlink

06-26-2017 08:59 AM
AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

If searched through the app for the following terms

mapOptions (in hope to use mapOptions:{logo: false})

logo

ESRI

No dice.   We don't necessarily want our logo to show, we'd just like to list our organization with a hyperlink to our website.  A little help here?  Thanks.  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ThomasSolow

You're not supposed to remove the attribution widget for legal reasons.  It is a DOM node though, so you can edit it via JS and CSS like any other DOM node.  You can find the class by inspecting it using dev tools and select it by the class name.

0 Kudos
AZendel

The logo can be changed via a URL parameter, which is why I couldn't find it in the code.  It's well documented here with sample code to change "Powered by ESRI" to and Univ of Indiana logo.

Everyone should research legality removing this logo for themselves.  But since this removal is documented in the Minimalist app and in the JavaScript API (search the page for logo:false), it's very hard to believe that removing the logo is always inappropriate.  Check out this thread and search the page for the part that reads "4.1c".  That very, very strongly implies that if you remove the logo via an ESRI-published API, then you're good to go.  But you decide for yourself.  

0 Kudos
ThomasSolow

Interesting, I was going off the 4.X API documentation.  Here's some relevant information:

Esri attribution | ArcGIS for Developers 

And from the FAQ:

Q: Can I remove the Esri attribution from my maps?

A: If you use resources from ArcGIS Online no. If you use our map services, you must keep all logos and other attribution on the maps. See this resource for more details on when you can and can't remove the attribution.

Q: Am I required to show Esri attribution in my app?

A: It depends. Esri requires that when you use an ArcGIS Online basemap, Esri data services, or Esri API technology in your app you must also include Esri attribution. See this resource for more details on when to display Esri attribution.

(My personal feelin is that the chances of legal action being taken over this are extremely remote, but it's probably a good idea to stay within the terms of service if possible.)

0 Kudos
AZendel

I think there is a difference between the "Powered By ESRI" logo and "attribution".  Here again is the link to the minimalist app where ESRI staff has shown you have to change the logo.  Even though the logo has changed, it still reads "Esri, HERE, Garmin, FAO, USGS, NGA, EPA, NPS" at the bottom right part of the map.  I'm guessing that's "attribution" we should never try to remove that text when it's there (that level of JS/HTML/CSS programming is beyond my skillset anyhow). You shouldn't do that with OpenStreetMap maps/data either.   In our case, all of the map content (base map tiles, authoritative operational layers, and geocoding service) is coming from our organization's on-premise ArcGIS server with data that our county maintains.  

Again, everyone should decide for themselves about what's appropriate and what's not.  And if removing the logo always violates any license terms, then ESRI staff should stop showing us how to do it!

0 Kudos
RicardasKvedaravicius
New Contributor

Try this:

var view = new MapView({ ... });

view.ui._removeComponents(["attribution"]);

0 Kudos