Am I blind, or is there no advanced editing smooth function in ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
10-09-2015 02:34 PM
TravisBugg1
New Contributor III

I do realize that you can use the Smooth Line or Smooth Polyline tool in the Geoprocessing toolbox, but it would be very convenient to have a smooth function in the Modify Feature toolset, much like the one in the Advanced Editing toolbar in ArcMap. I've been using ArcGIS Pro 1.1.1 for editing raw GPS data lately, and for the most part, I love it. Cleaning up drainage and road lines from GPS capture with a Bing aerial basemap is much easier in Pro because the aerial layer is actually navigable and fast. I've never had that type of basemap performance in ArcMap. Redraws are painfully slow. In Pro, it's quick and easy, much like a Google Earth-type experience.

I've got my Quick Access Toolbar all decked out, and editing features is quite streamlined. That is, until I need to smooth the drainage or road or site boundary I just aligned to the aerial. In ArcMap, this is easily accomplished with the Smooth tool on the Advanced Editing Toolbar. The Modify Features toolset is a loose analog to that, but there is a conspicuous absence when it comes to smoothing.  The Geoprocessing tools create a new output every time the tool is run. I don't need that, I simply need to smooth the line or polygon that I've just edited.

ArcMap Advanced Editing Toolbar:

Smooth_Tool.png

ArcGIS Pro Modify Features Tools:

ArcGIS Pro Geoprocessing Tools:

Am I not looking in the right place, or does this functionality not exist yet? If not, could you include it the next release, ESRI?? If it does exist, could someone point out where it lives?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LarryYoung
Esri Contributor

Hi Travis,

Thanks for your feedback and for editing with ArcGIS Pro.  We started with the basic editing functionality in ArcGIS Pro for both 2D and 3D, adding additional capabilities around templates and some other areas.

Advanced editing functionality is something we've not had the chance to get to yet.  We will be adding shared edge editing and align to shape with the 1.2 release, but i'm afraid smoothing capabilities are still at least one more release away.  I assure it is coming, it is just a matter of fitting it into the schedule.

Thanks, larry

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

not way down this page under constrain polylines? Although I can't find the word smooth anywhere

Menus and toolbars for editing—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
TravisBugg1
New Contributor III

Thanks, I hadn't seen that page before. I'll examine it closely and report back.

0 Kudos
LarryYoung
Esri Contributor

Hi Travis,

Thanks for your feedback and for editing with ArcGIS Pro.  We started with the basic editing functionality in ArcGIS Pro for both 2D and 3D, adding additional capabilities around templates and some other areas.

Advanced editing functionality is something we've not had the chance to get to yet.  We will be adding shared edge editing and align to shape with the 1.2 release, but i'm afraid smoothing capabilities are still at least one more release away.  I assure it is coming, it is just a matter of fitting it into the schedule.

Thanks, larry

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Not seeing this in 1.4 either. If I understand correctly, Pro is slated to replace ArcMap. Does that imply that most functions currently present in ArcMap are going to permanently retired?

0 Kudos
JasonWarzinik
Occasional Contributor

Just downloaded the alpha release of ArcGIS Pro 2.0 and still don't see a modify features smooth tool.  Any ETA on when that might be showing up?

0 Kudos
AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

There's a topic in ArcGIS ideas that requests this feature:  Add "Smooth" and "Simplify" tools to the editing environment. A quick upvote couldn't hurt.  I hope to see this functionality added  

LoriHatfield1
New Contributor II

I found the smooth tool under the generalize editing tool if this helps.  I could not run the smooth geoprocessing tool because of licensing.

Go to Edit > Select Modify (Features) > Select Generalize (located in Reshape Tools) > Choose Smooth Method (there are three available methods) > Select your polygon

Once you select your polygon you will be able to see a preview of how the generalize (smooth) tool will affect the selected polygon.

Smooth Tool.png

jmaxwell_braun
New Contributor III

Thanks! This should be marked as the solution on this thread.

0 Kudos