Historical Imagery "Time Slider" Widget

Jump to solution
05-10-2017 08:15 AM
AmyRoust
Occasional Contributor III

I've got several vintages of historical imagery that I would love to make available online, but I am not terribly happy with any of the options available through the current AGOL / WAB offerings. It seems like there are tools that dance all around what I want, but nothing quite like this:

City of Surrey Historical Imagery Viewer 

I love the idea of being able to zoom in any area in the map and then easily switch back and forth between years. I took a stab at doing a swipe tool map, but it required so many set up steps for the user (turn on one layer, pick a base map, set up the slider tool) that I didn't think people would like it.

I suppose I could just set up all of my historical imagery as basemaps and people could flip through all of the options. Just wondering if anyone out there had a more elegant solution?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Amy,

There is no widget out there right now that does what you are looking for. I do have the eBasemapGallery widget that will allow you to fade between two basemaps. But as you said it would require the user to select the basemaps they want to fade between and you are limited to selecting two.

https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-2888-enhanced-basemap-gallery-widget-23-02142017 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Amy,

There is no widget out there right now that does what you are looking for. I do have the eBasemapGallery widget that will allow you to fade between two basemaps. But as you said it would require the user to select the basemaps they want to fade between and you are limited to selecting two.

https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-2888-enhanced-basemap-gallery-widget-23-02142017 

AlexP_
by

Any advise how to make for the City of Surrey Historical Map?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Alex,

That site is a JS API app so you can just right click and choose view page source for code ideas.

0 Kudos
AlexP_
by

Does it have to be JS API app or is there other options?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Alex,

A developer can take the code from that app and plug it into a widget with the right amount of skill.

0 Kudos