Topo to Raster error

04-12-2017 02:28 AM
francescarusso
New Contributor III

Dear all,

I have received some isopachs contour line which I have tried to interpolate with the "Topo to raster" tool in Spatial Analyst. I had the same task a while ago and I didn't have any problem in doing so. Now I got all the time a message of error. I thought that it could be due to the data I have received so I tried again to do the Topo to raster with the previous data which I did interpolated a while ago successfully and now I get the message of error for them as well.

I do not really understand how is it possible. Does anyone has any suggestions?

Cheers,

F

0 Kudos
10 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Usual stuff Francesca...

Have path changed? Spaces etc etc.

Is this a brand new mxd or are you using the tool via ArcCatalog?

Have you tried resetting your application profile?

https://community.esri.com/thread/78692 

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

What error are you getting anyway?

0 Kudos
francescarusso
New Contributor III

Hi Neil thanks a lot for replying.

Please se below the error I get

I have the same problem either if I start a new .mxd file or if I use the previous one.

I am a bit desperate

F

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Why don't you use the actual data rather than a lyr file which points to the data?

francescarusso
New Contributor III

Hi Neil,

this is a good question. The problem was that I have received an .mxd file within a geodatabase from a client. For some reason (and I put my question on this forum few days ago), once I tried to Repair the data into the .mxd file not all the layer were visible. of course I tried to make them visible but for some reason not all of them became visible anyway. So to see if the data were ok I have saved them into layer and opened in a new .mxd file and it worked. (I could see all the data perfectly).

The problem is that I believe that GIS sometimes decides to work and sometimes not  I have tried already many times to open them from the actual data (as you suggested)and it didn't work. Now I have tried again and it worked but just on the .mxd file that doesn't open all the data. If I try to do the same into the new mxd file where all the data are ok it doesn't work

BTW now I have the interpolation into the other .mxd and if I open it in the new one it doesn't look like the same. The one I have generated with SA is very smooth and when I import the raster in the other one is made of big pixel (please see pics below)

Any suggestion on what to do to make it smoother like in the first pic?

Thanks a lot for all your support

F

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Check the rendering of the image. Properties page, Display and use bilinear or cubic convolution to represent the data

francescarusso
New Contributor III

Hi Neil,

job done!Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Francesca

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Sorry Fancesca, but all this "its works one day then it doesn't the next"...

is bugging me. Computers or software doesn't just wake up one morning and decide to do something differently.

Well, maybe with windows updates, sometimes it does .

But, most times it revolves around the operator

So I suggest you carefully review your project structures, get the data organised properly - fgdb's for example.

Make sure everything has meaningful names, so you know what's what. Check those coordinate systems in ArcCatalog.

Good luck.

francescarusso
New Contributor III

Hi Neil,

it should be very frustrating for people like you dealing with people like me. Unlikely I do not use GIS very often and as you know if you do not it is really hard each time to start again (and most of the time you have the time concern as the job has to be done urgently). I will definitely follow your suggestion to be more organized as I reckon I am not, but I am quite confident that I have tried to run the TOPO to RASTER from the actual data and it didn't work previously.

BTW I found this forum really useful and all of you guys really professional. Most of the time you saved my life!!!

Thanks once more,

Have a nice day and a good Easter!

Francesca

0 Kudos