Image Service dynamic vs caching (10.5.x)

04-10-2017 01:04 PM
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm currently testing/moving our ArcGIS Server 10.2.x to 10.5.x (new install).  We have Image Server, but will be keeping ArcGIS Server, Portal and Image Server on the same server.  All of this seems to be working fine.

I have a mosaic dataset and have successfully published this ("Imagery").  I have successfully created a second service ("Imagery_cached") and copied/upgraded-bundles that is using the same mosaic database but with the cache files (15 levels).  All this is working well.

I see the cached one being used to increasing drawing speed for web and ArcMap drawing, while the non-cached will be for functions and on-the-fly analysis.

Questions: 

• Will there be any impact on the server if I make these just one Image Service?  (I see the analysis being done rarely on this service)
  • Should I make the cached version just a map service (with basically an empty mxd) instead?

Am I over thinking this? I'm hoping to hear others experiences and suggestions on this.  Thanks

tagging ArcGIS for Server‌  Web Developers

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

...of course, right after submitting this I saw a related message at the bottom, which I didn't find on my "search"

https://community.esri.com/thread/105371 

this is actually similar to what I did.  But if anyone has other suggestions or tips....

0 Kudos
MeleKoneya
Occasional Contributor III

Rebecca,  

We have not implemented this idea.     It was something we wanted to do,  but our applications are looking for a TiledMapService and we would have to change our code to handle switching between the Cached and Dynamic.   

Something we would like to do,  but haven't as of yet.

Mele

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Thanks for the response Mele.

I don't see of us trying to switch between the cached and dynamic in a web app, but I could see pointing to the cached version for (web/ArcMap) viewing only, or the Dynamic if needing additional functionality (ArcMap/Catalog) for analysis purposes or possibly a GP service.  I think those that will need the added functionality will be able to select, at least with some guidance.  From all the stuff I have read, pre-10.5.x, I think your conclusion in the other thread is what I was thinking. 

In keeping them separate, i.e. the dynamic Image server and a cached server, I'm not sure if there is any performance difference between the cached service being tied to a MapService/mxd vs an ImageService/mosaic.  It maybe something that is hard to test and to to get real specs on, and maybe it really doesn't matter?? (i.e. my overthinking it).  

ErickJohnson
New Contributor II

I don't think you need to have separate services.  You can publish an image service with a tile cache, and then call it in your application as "tiled" or "image" as desired.  There is a menu option in ArcMap to switch the image service between rendering from the tile cache ("Enable Tile Cache Mode") and the default, which allows access to the underlying mosaic dataset functions.