Pricing for new ArcGIS Developer Subscription?

03-23-2017 05:38 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@esri

Can we please get some advice on the pricing model of the back o the new developer subscription now being offered (see Pricing | ArcGIS for Developers); it not available can we get a timeline?  We want to purchase a plan but before committing to the old model (i.e. EDN) i would like to understand the pricing model that is being proposed?

Brad

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm branching my response to a new discussion https://community.esri.com/message/675054  on suggested changes to the new plan...I need to edit it, from what I'm posting below (but my machine is acting up...needing reboot) but putting the info here too.   I wasn't sure how/where I would put it on the Ideas page, so a discussion will work until I can simplify an "idea"

If you log in to that page (with developer account) you should see the prices....mine shows the prices.  For additional specifics, you'll want to talk to your customer service rep and/or local distributor.  (personally, with all the new pricing changes, I think they are a bit swamped, so be patient).

I've had discussions with my customer rep because I was a little confused with how the chart was laid out...looks like two separate, unrelated tables...but follow down the column for relatde items...and what was announced at the Dev Summit.  I decided that what was announce there was correct, but since the "new terminology" wasn't really known, it was a bit confusing.

The closest option to price and products to the EDN subscription I have (until expiration) from what I understand is the Builder or Processional.  What I would gain is the "app Dev Tools" and a "Basic" (ArcView) Desktop license (which isn't needed since we have concurrent licenses already).  The main thing I will lose at this level is Image Server (formerly Image Server extension), which is a problem I am trying to work thru now. 

Note: To see what you actually get with each plan, click on the "Show details for 16 additional products" and to get details of what each of the items really means, hover on the "?".

To have the Image Server included, you would have to get the "Advanced"  level, which include that, plus an "Advanced" (ArcInfo) Desktop license and a registration for the Fed or Dev Summit.

Personally in our current situation, this model doesn't work well for our organization, but I'm hoping to get something to work for us for the next years until we can adapt. 

I've thought about posting an Idea or discussion regarding a suggestion to allow for a "smorgasbord" option for those that don't need Desktop or the Dev Summit registration, but do need Image Server.  I think you question is a good place to introduce that thought, and I will spin this off to get the discussion started. 

For use, the price difference between the current plan that does include Image Server and the new plan that includes this is almost 3x the cost.....and gives us the items we don't need.   Being able to pick and choose or swap the needed items for the unneeded items would be a much better system for us, and probably for many other mid-sized organizations (i.e. not Federal government). 

btw - If/when I become a sole proprietor, I could see the Advacnced level being nice, especially if I was just starting out....everything in one package..  But for long established organizations without an Enterprise License Agreement (ELA), this is not a good fit.  (my opinion.)

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

When logged in, it doesn't give pricing for me hence the post (not sure if this is a regional thing or not (i.e. i am outside the USA).  I have since got prices from regional distributor & they align similar to your thoughts.  

I am querying if you can still purchase 'edn' as a stand-alone product since as you say, its not always required to include desktop particularly if you already have a pool of licences to leverage. 

Brad

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

It does seem that pricing is usually blocked on the the web pages when outside the US.  Glad you were able to get the info from your local distributor.

From what I have heard, no, you cannot purchase the older EDN structure anymore, but until you "Activate" the new process on myesri, I think the old structure works until it expires.  I haven't activated mine yet for fear it will "break" my current dev access to Image Server. 

I've started a separate discussion https://community.esri.com/message/675054-re-pricing-for-new-arcgis-developer-subscription  to see if we can get a some suggestions we can put forward to Esri and/or on the Ideas page.  It may be a lost cause, but it is a pretty drastic change for those that have a certain amount set out in our budget.  It's always nice to see things added to the subscription, but not at the cost of something we have had and use (regardless of them re-packaging Image Server  it as a standalone vs an extension), especially if the added items are redundant to our licenses or not needed at all.  My opinion.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When I follow the link you provide, the prices for the different packages are displayed.  Are you saying you don't see prices on the pricing page?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Joshua...probably out-of-US it is not shown, and he mentioned.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Just use one of those VPN services and have your connection route through the US.  Even if the prices aren't exactly the same after exchange rate, it would give a ballpark estimate.

0 Kudos