Issue with Attribute Table when import 3D Building to ArcGIS

03-10-2017 04:19 PM
HishamAlghamdi1
New Contributor II

Dear Helpers,

I've designed a 3D Building in SketchUp program as shown in the below picture:

Then, I exported it as 3DS File (*.3ds)

After this step, I went to ArcGIS Pro to import this 3D Building.

The steps are:

1. Created a Feature Class, and select the Geometry Type (Multipatch)

2. Go to the Ribbon, Map, in the Layer group select Add Preset, then selected Realistic Buildings

3.  Then selected the created Feature Class (in step 1) from the pop-window, then OK and then OK

4.  Go to the Ribbon, Edit tap, then select Create from the Feature group

5.  Then select the 3D model that was designed in SketchUp

This video shows you the steps clearly

Working with 3D in ArcGIS Pro - YouTube 

My Question,

The imported 3D models does not have any attribute details like height and area.

This image shows you the imported 3D model and its attribute that does not have the details.

How can have these details for the imported 3D building please?

CC:

Dan_Patterson

jayanta.poddar

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Short of watching the full hour video, can you tell me where therein that it shows you that attributes are imported?

The import tool in the help file makes no mention about attributes, but only geometry

0 Kudos
HishamAlghamdi1
New Contributor II

Dear Dan_Patterson‌ ,

There is no mentioning to the attribute that will be imported.

What I exactly want to reach is how can I get the details of height and area of the building in the attribute table?

Is there any tool can generate the 3D model details (such as height and area) in the attribute table please?

Note: The video is just three minutes to show the steps that I wrote previously.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Hisham, then you will have to examine if you have the right type of features that you can use to determine the various feature geometries... this is the main link ...

0 Kudos
HishamAlghamdi1
New Contributor II

Dear Dan_Patterson

I really appreciate your help but Honestly I spent a lot of time trying to find a solution but unfortunately I couldn't.

Can you just help if you know how can I calculate automatically the area and height of any 3D building in ArcGIS Pro please?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What is the type of geometry it produces? a featureclass? https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/3d-analyst/add-z-information.htm Z being height if it is a featureclass.  If you have something else, then let us know.  If it is a featureclass in a geodatabase.. which it probably isn't by the sounds of it... a Shape_Area field would have already been calculated.  If what you have has no table (right-click on that layer and see if you can open its attribute table) then it isn't something that can have those properties calculated using conventional means

HishamAlghamdi1
New Contributor II

Dear Dan Patterson

Thank you very much. I used Add Z Information tool, and it works perfectly.

1]   I still got one issue with this tool (Add Z Information), you can see in the image bellow that the volume is not calculate although the area and height are given. Is there any suggestion?

2]   When I selected the same layer that I did (Add Z Information) for it, then went up to the ribbon in order to modify the 3D module by either increase or decrease, I found the option of the icon is not active. Is there any suggestion to solve this problem.

Thank you very much for your help. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well that says to me that you actually have 3d shapes and the features aren't extruded from an attribute containing height in a table, which is a common practice.  So your shapes aren't extruded but 3D.. so I guess I am lost on your point, I thought that would be a good thing.  But you have the area and 3 different measures of height, which are all pretty close... I would go with the mean Z times the area... giving you volume (via a calculator of course)