Media options in Cascade Template

Jump to solution
03-06-2017 11:03 AM
KateNewell1
Occasional Contributor II

I built a web app using the Cascade template a while back.  I'm updating it and now have noticed that the ability to "pop out" or enlarge images is no longer there? Can anyone help with this? I have some images that I want the user to be able to pop out...this was certainly an option when I first created the app, and now it is gone....  

The images are all "uploaded" images. 

Specifically in the "lives, transformed" section of this story map below:

https://bellingham.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=144b4a582a4f409caf10f5e76c1ff262 

The ability to pop-out (enlarge) one of the three images used to be available. 

UPDATE: I had to remove the images in the "lives, transformed" section to make the app function, as 13,000 postcards with a shortlink to this app are being delivered today, and without the pop-out ability, would have been illegible.  Would still be nice to have the pop-up feature back for the section above with the graph images so that they can be enlarged if desired.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kate,

In the March 2017 release of Cascade we replaced the underlying tech we were using for image galleries so that it could support multiple rows of images and dynamic layouts, but we didn't have time to redo the click-to-expand feature. We do still plan to add that back in a future release, and I'm sorry this affected your story.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kate,

In the March 2017 release of Cascade we replaced the underlying tech we were using for image galleries so that it could support multiple rows of images and dynamic layouts, but we didn't have time to redo the click-to-expand feature. We do still plan to add that back in a future release, and I'm sorry this affected your story.

Owen

Owen Evans
KateNewell1
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Owen!

Just checking in to see the status of expanding/popping-out the images and if this is still in the que for the next Cascade update? And if so, if there is a timeline for next update? We are working on a new app and would love to have this ability for the "Infill Toolkit" section in this story map (under construction).  Right now, I am using a carousel, which works... but I think it might be cleaner to have a 3x3 grid of images that the user could click on to expand...Thanks!

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kate -- Our team is focusing development resources on other story map projects this release cycle, so unfortunately there are no significant updates coming for Cascade in the next (December) release.

If you'd like to have a pop-out image gallery in a Cascade your best option is to create a custom web page that you host yourself and embed that in your story.

Owen Evans
JeffKaiden1
New Contributor

Any updates on re-instituting story map pop-outs without necessitating the creation of our own webpage? Perhaps, I misunderstand the suggestion, but I don't have the ability to create a new webpage every time I want a story map table or graph to pop-out.  I don't understand why this is not something inherit in the program and why the solution involves using other programs to make this one work as it should (and use to).  Clients are not going to jump through hoops just to see a larger image, they will move on to another product...

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jeff -- Thanks for your feedback. We also really liked the ability to click to expand images in a gallery and understand it is something that some story map authors have requested. Unfortunately, we don't currently have a timeline on when we'll add this feature since our team is focused on other story map development priorities.

For now, I would suggest using a medium- or large-sized image for any images that you'd like your readers to be able to view in an expanded format.

I apologize that Cascade is not currently meeting your needs in this area, but I've made a note of your feedback in our system as we re-evaluate priorities frequently.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos