MXD to Google Earth hyperlink

03-06-2017 10:26 AM
JonathanPetrunic
New Contributor

Hello.  I am exporting an MXD file to Google Earth using the 'Map to KML' tool. My data is all point (shapefiles). In one of the fields I have a hyperlink to an image. However, when KML file is created the hyperlink is not active. Is there a way to retain an active hyperlink? Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Do you mean hyperlink or html popup?  There is more information here.

0 Kudos
JonathanPetrunic
New Contributor

It will be a hyperlink.  The intent is to be able to click the point in google earth and then have one of the fields be a link to a photo. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

have a look at the link and the popup documentation to see if you can cobble something together... hyperlink is not expressly mentioned, but I presume you have found that they are not supported through your own testing

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

In the first link Dan sent

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/tools/conversion-toolbox/layer-to-kml.htm#ESRI_USAGES_070...

under Usage it says:

You can control the appearance of KML in two ways:

• If layer properties such as the HTML PopUp setting, display expression, and the alias for KMLSnippet are used, they will be used in the creation of the KML.

However, I am not sure how well that translates to displaying images in the KML popup. I would start with making other hyperlinking work first, then work on the images.

0 Kudos