Collecting lines with survey123?

02-20-2017 11:05 PM
RokCiglic1
New Contributor II

Hi!

Survey123 looks great and my colleague and I would like to use it in a short survey, but there is a problem. Survey123 has only an option for adding points to the survey. We would like respondents to draw a line (e.g. draw a border between area A and area B). Visitors of the survey would complete a form with desktop computer.

Does survey123 team intend to include options for drawing lines and polygons?

Thank you for replies.

Rok

0 Kudos
8 Replies
CarmelConnolly3
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Rok,

According to this post, this functionality will be available this year but that's the only thing I've seen about it!

Carmel

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

There is an 'idea' that can be voted up as well:

https://community.esri.com/ideas/11199 

CarlHolt1
Occasional Contributor III

Collector allows users to collect lines.

GeorgeDurkee1
New Contributor III

Hi: still not there as of 10/2018. What I do as a workaround is establish a point w/form at the beginning of the line, then create a line feature class to draw the line from there. Kludgy but at least their associated visually.

George

0 Kudos
RokCiglic1
New Contributor II

Hi!

Thank you for your idea. Can you be a little more specific? I am not sure that I understand it... Do you have an example to share?

Rok

0 Kudos
GeorgeDurkee1
New Contributor III

Rok: sorry for the delay. I've actually been fiddling with a solution. A couple of years ago, I was trying to crowd source people's travel routes using Survey123. I designed a form for them to fill out the information I wanted as a point. I then created a line feature class with minimal fields that would allow me to associate the two feature classes (though the point should have been at the beginning of the line). That worked at the time and, because Survey123 has better ability to provide detail/description of what you want (vs. a popup feature class table), I thought it worked OK.

I'm now trying the same thing again but instead created a gdb, uploaded to my AGOL web map. When you edit/draw any of the points, lines or polygons, you fill in what I hope is a fairly obvious set of fields. At the moment, it's a web map but I'll soon create an App that'll allow Information instructions in a popup. Here's the link to this web map, should you want to take a look: https://arcg.is/0zTGyS You can go ahead an create a symbol or two, just be sure to delete them and, just in case, do them out of the main area of interest... . Right now, guests have full editing controls, but I'll change that later using a View feature class for the app.

As a side note, this map is to crowdsource search efforts by a public volunteer group after the main search has been suspended. From that, I hope to determine priority areas to carry on future search areas (prioritizing areas that haven't been searched).

OK. Hope that helps!

George

0 Kudos
RokCiglic1
New Contributor II

George! Thank you for your help (and sorry for my late reply). I tested and draw two lines (id 6 and 7) and then deleted them. I noticed that all the features are visible to other users (I opened the map in other browser). That means that people who are drawing lines might be following the lines that were drawn by earlier respondents. Maybe this can be done with defining settings for feature layer by selecting "Editors can only see their own features (requires tracking)". I will try to make such a web map and have to check this!

Cheers!

Rok

JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Line and polygon support is now available in beta. Please go to the EAC site to start testing!: Welcome to our Feedback Community