How to add MapServer from arcgis server to webappbuilder?

01-30-2017 12:55 AM
PramudyaSeptian
New Contributor II

I am new to javascript webappbuilder. When i was using flex, it was very trivial to add REST URL to the application operational layers.

However in webappbuilder i absolutely have no idea to do the same thing. I want my services to have been added to the application since the application start running so then my client can just turn it on or off in layer list to access the desired information.

Is it possible to add the REST URL using config file so that the services have been added since the first time the application started? 

Please help me...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
PanagiotisPapadopoulos
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Septian,

you have to create first a webmap (Create apps from maps—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS ) from arcgis online or portal and then use this as content on your web app builder.

PramudyaSeptian
New Contributor II

Hi, Papadopoulos

Thank you for the prompt response. So.. this means that all the maps that i want to add to the application, should be added to portal previously?

0 Kudos
PanagiotisPapadopoulos
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes If you have Portal,otherwise use ArcGIS Online to create the webmap.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Pramudya,

Just to clarify this item,

> .. this means that all the maps that i want to add to the application, should be added to portal previously?

FYI, you can actually create a new web map from scratch within Web AppBuilder itself. Under the Map tab, there is a 'Create a Map' option. Please see this help topic for details,

Map and Scene—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Pramudya,

Unlike the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex, Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS is part of the "Web GIS" ecosystem and works with web maps. Please review this blog post, specifically question #3:

Clarifying 3 questions about Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Blog 

FYI, after you've created your app based on an initial web map - you can add web services onto it with the Add Data widget. See link below:

Add Data widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Hope this helps,

PramudyaSeptian
New Contributor II

Hi Law,

Thank you for the prompt response. if i use this add data widget, will the web services be added permanently? or should i add it again everytime i re-run the application?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Pramudya,

No, the Add Data widget enables an end user of the web app to add web services to the map display. If you want to ensure that they are always part of the app when it loads I suggest you create a new web map with the web services already added.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Are you wanting to include your ArcGIS Server services in a Web AppBuilder developer edition app?  If so, take a look at the Local Layer widget or the Add Service widget in the list below.  Some of these may not be updated for the most current release (2.3) so they may take some testing and/or modifications, but it might get you on the right track.  By the way, this is clipped from the /blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2016/03/09/web-appbuilder-developer-edition-customization-resource-list?sr=search...‌ 

Services and layer: