Feature class stored in another schema than the schema of the owner

01-25-2017 03:30 PM
James2Ford2
New Contributor

Hello all,

I have a PostgreSQL enterprise geodatabase.

I created a feature class via SQL. I see my feature class in ArcCatalog. Right.

I would like to register with geodatabase this feature class but the menu is greyed.

I think it's because the feature class is stored in another schema than the schema of the owner of this feature class.

Owner name : "gis" (with a schema named "gis" too)

Feature class stored in another schema named "cad".

I would like to know if it's possible to store a feature class in another schema than the owner's schema ?

Could you advice me ?

What I have to do to succeed registering this feature class ?

Thank you,

James

2 Replies
ScottFierro2
Occasional Contributor III

Short answer, no, 1 schema owner can not have authority over an object owned by a different schema and can only have read/select access. This is a huge issue with ESRI's security model and is one that we have made multiple attempts over several years now to get resolved with no luck. It's tied to ESRI's database security model that seems to have been morphed from the days of Microsoft Access databases into more current Enterprise databases without ever expanding or changing to allow the Enterprise databases to do some of the core things they are needed for.

Here was a post I submitted back in the ESRI ideas page early days with included break down of why/how their model was more of a security issue for organizations and included the MS page discussing the use of these options for transferring ownership to allow for these types of scenarios https://community.esri.com/ideas/10736

Here is another example https://community.esri.com/ideas/9589

In order to successfully get the FC to register with the database you would need to login using the "cad" database username and associated password. You are then logging into the database as the CAD user which is the only user that by ESRI's existing models has the ownership level permissions to do these tasks.

James2Ford2
New Contributor

Hi Scott,

Thank you very much for your detailed response.

So I tried registering the fc using the "cad" username but I got the DBMS error "table not found" at the end of the process.

I think I have to add a specific privilege to "cad" but which one ?

I don't want to make a mistake.

Thank you,

James 

0 Kudos