Story Map Journal Sections

Jump to solution
01-25-2017 01:43 PM
MicaellaPenning
New Contributor

Is there a limit on how many sections a Story Map Journal can have?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Micaella,

I checked with a colleague and there is an enforced limit of 101 sections in a Map Journal.

However, when creating a very long story map like the one you are planning be sure to monitor the performance of the story. If your side panel sections are mostly text-based with a few images here and there then I wouldn't anticipate any issues, but if you have many images and videos per section in the side panel you may start to see performance issues. If you run into this situation you can try breaking your story up into several Map Journals and link to the next story from the last section of the previous one.

Also, from a practical point of view, be sure that a 75-section story is something your intended audience will be interested in reading! 😉 You might consider publishing a simpler/summary version of your story for a general audience in addition to the full version for a specific target audience.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Micaella,

I don't believe there is an enforced limit to the number of sections in a Map Journal. Are you encountering a limit? Could you please provide some additional information as to why you are asking and what the subject of your story is so I can understand your requirements?

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
MicaellaPenning
New Contributor

I have not encountered a limit. I am working with a Cultural Entrepreneurship class which is planning a group story map. There will need to be about 75 sections in the story map, so I just wanted to check before we begin, to make sure we won't run into issues with a story map this large.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Micaella,

I checked with a colleague and there is an enforced limit of 101 sections in a Map Journal.

However, when creating a very long story map like the one you are planning be sure to monitor the performance of the story. If your side panel sections are mostly text-based with a few images here and there then I wouldn't anticipate any issues, but if you have many images and videos per section in the side panel you may start to see performance issues. If you run into this situation you can try breaking your story up into several Map Journals and link to the next story from the last section of the previous one.

Also, from a practical point of view, be sure that a 75-section story is something your intended audience will be interested in reading! 😉 You might consider publishing a simpler/summary version of your story for a general audience in addition to the full version for a specific target audience.

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos