Collector message "You are not connected to the internet"

Jump to solution
01-25-2017 09:47 AM
GaryLyon
New Contributor II

I am operating Collector on a Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10. When I attempt to start Collector and log into AGOL (docked and undocked) I get the message "You are not connected to the internet". Yet, I can access the internet through my browser without any problems. Can anyone tell me the TCP port(s) Collector uses, or anything else that may help me figure this out?

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GaryLyon
New Contributor II

To update everyone, our desktop support folks figured it out. Turns out it the Windows Credential Manager had to be cleared and Collector reinstalled. Very odd that if it was an issue with Collector using an old password, why would it return "You are not connected to the internet" as the error message? Something for the Collector developer team to think about I guess. Thanks to all for the assist. Log this for your Surface Pro users.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Gary-

All communication should be over HTTP or HTTPS. Can you connect on a different network (perhaps public or home WiFi)?

0 Kudos
GaryLyon
New Contributor II

Tried it at home on my WiFi and Collector wouldn't even get to the point where it would ask me if I wanted to sign in. I'm suspecting there may be some security on my Surface Pro that is limiting how I connect to the Internet. As to HTTP or HTTPS...does collector use port 80 or another port?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Gary,

Are you logging in for the first time on this device or are you reopening collector with an existing login? I have seen a couple other cases with ESRI Support that have this issue.

Are Windows 10 and Collector up to date? 10.4.1 is the latest version of Collector on Windows.

0 Kudos
GaryLyon
New Contributor II

Existing login. Have had Collector on my Surface Pro for about 6 months.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Gary, can you check for any windows updates on your surface and also go to the Windows store to see if Collector needs to be updated? Collector doesn't necessarily use ports like ArcGIS Server would. It just makes communication to the respective ArcGIS Online or Portal organization over http/https.

0 Kudos
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

I've experienced this same issue in windows 10. Logging out of collector and back in resolved the issue for me. When you click on yourself after clicking the hamburger, click on the 'Current' user and then remove. You'll then be prompted to sign back in and hopefully return to connectivity.

-Adam Z

GaryLyon
New Contributor II

To update everyone, our desktop support folks figured it out. Turns out it the Windows Credential Manager had to be cleared and Collector reinstalled. Very odd that if it was an issue with Collector using an old password, why would it return "You are not connected to the internet" as the error message? Something for the Collector developer team to think about I guess. Thanks to all for the assist. Log this for your Surface Pro users.

0 Kudos
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for sharing this Gary.  We'll take a look and clarify the message to make it more informative.

0 Kudos
NancyThompson3
New Contributor

We are experiencing this same issue with a Dell Windows 10 Pro (Latitude 7275)  and Collector 10.4.1. Our users have downloaded maps and data and are working offline to collect data and then sync when they are in the office with good internet connectivity. Sometimes when attempting to sync they receive the error "You are not connected to the internet". They are actually connected to the internet but no longer connected to ArcGIS Online and did not sign out of ArcGIS Online. There appears to be two options for reconnecting; Remove Profile and then add user or go straight to Add User. It has been our experience that when a profile is removed the previous data available to sync can be lost, not always but this has occurred on several occasions. What is the best practice for reconnecting to ArcGIS Online without losing data? Is there a plan to fix this issue?

0 Kudos