Using ArcPad 10 on Windows 8 OS

12-12-2012 08:14 PM
AlexFeeney
New Contributor
Just wondering if ArcPad 10 compatiable with a Windows 8 OS?

The plan is to install and use ArcPad 10 on a Tablet PC with a Windows 8 OS.

Has anyone had any issues with the installation or operation?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
JuanLuera
Occasional Contributor III
Hola feeneyaf,

Currently ArcPad 10.0 has not been certified on Windows 8 OS, this could be something coming in the near future. Please refer to the System Requirements page, I am including for you and you will see Windows 8 OS is currently not within it. Gracias, feeneyaf!

ArcPad 10.0 System Requirements

Desktop Computers and Tablet-PCs:
Supported Operating Systems:
�?� Windows XP
�?� Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit version)
�?� Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit version)

http://resources.arcgis.com/content/arcpad/10.0/system-requirements
0 Kudos
AlexFeeney1
New Contributor
Thanks for your response juan.

By "certified" do you mean it is still possible for the installation and use, it just hasn't been officially tested with the Windows 8 OS?

I came across this blog the other day where someone mentions they have been successful in installing ArcGIS, ArcPad 10 and FME on a Windows 8 Pro OS Desktop. From what I have read, ArcPad 10 will only install on the Windows 8 Pro OS and not the RT version, as the RT one is more about applications and not programs.

http://www.riamobilegis.com.au/home/i_just_installed_arcgis_and_fme_on_windows_8/
0 Kudos
JuanLuera
Hola Alex,

Yes, when I mentioned certified on my response. Yes, this means that it hasn�??t been officially tested and nor officially certified yet. I reviewed the blog you added, and I would agree with this but regarding ArcPad 10.0.4. Where a few of us ArcPad Analyst have installed and worked with it within a Win8 OS and have not seen any issues. Gracias, Alex!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hey folks,

We just came across a potential issue with ArcPad 10.0.4 installer that is being distributed through the Customer Care Portal.
It appears that it contains a corrupted TTF font file that is embedded into the installer. The problem had been spotted with one of our client who was trying to install ArcPad on the Windows 7 operated tablet (Algiz7) - the process was freezing every time the installer was trying to copy the same Esri_30.TTF file to the Fonts Folder in Windows.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22332[/ATTACH]

Since that time I replicated it twice with new Windows 8 machines - it hangs at the same point every time I try to install ArcPad 10.0.4 on a WIN8 machine (I couldn't replicate it with any of my WIN7 virtual machines). This happens only when I use the installer downloaded from the Customer Care Portal.

But if I download the installer from here : http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcpad/evaluate it works like a dream.

Just keep in mind that the ArcPad 10.0.4 installed available on the CCP may be corrupted.

Cheers
HannahFerrier
THE 10.0.4 DOWNLOAD ON THE CUSTOMER CARE PORTAL IS NOT CORRUPTED!!

Just make sure that you do not have your internet browser open when you are installing and you should have no issues.

The Esri true type fonts will not install if you have an active internet browser session open.

NOTE: especially when using Windows 8 (different mechanism for closing win8 apps) - make sure the browser is CLOSED and not running in the background

Thanks,

Hannah
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
All,

Esri Support confirmed ArcPad 10.0.4 download install file is valid by verifying checksums using instructions in knowledge base article #37976. ArcPad 10.0.4 install is NOT corrupt - you are running into some other issue, likely open Internet browser as suggested in previous post by Hannah.

Denise
0 Kudos
MattHamilton
Esri Contributor
Hey there,

Any new news on ArcPad 10 coming to Windows 8? Or at least being "certified" on Windows 8? Any pertinent information would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Matt,

We're successfully running ArcPad 10 on Windows 8 Pro OS machines now. Please read the ArcPad Team Blog on ArcPad & Windows 8, http://arcpadteam.blogspot.com/2013/01/arcpad-windows-8-beautiful-marriage.html.

Denise
0 Kudos
AlexFeeney
New Contributor
Just an update...

So far so good with installing and using ArcPad 10 with a Windows 8 OS. We have been using it out in the field on tablet devices for the past couple of months. The bigger screen definitely makes it easier to work with forms (less pages) and it allows for the data to be seen much easier on the screen.

Windows 8 takes some getting used to for first timers, but once you work out how to operate the main functions it gets easier.

If you are planning to use ArcPad 10 on a Windows 8 OS for use in the field on mobile GPS devices, please be aware that there is a COM port connectivity issue between the GPS and Arcpad 10. It has been mentioned in many forums and has been logged with ESRI many times for further investigation. The only way around it that we have found is to purchase a GPS USB dongle and also, if required,  virtual COM Port software to link everything up. We got away with just using the GPS USB dongle by itself and it created its own COM Port. It's not ideal but we'll have to make do for the time being.

Apart from that, we have had no further issues at this stage making software and OS work together but I'll post further updates if I come across anything else through our testing.
0 Kudos