01-12-2017 02:05 AM
abdallahilemrabott
New Contributor

How to block exporting data from a geodatabase 

0 Kudos
16 Replies
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

So you want to prevent the user from exporting the data but at the same time still make the feature classes visible so that it can be viewed in ArcMap?  I don't think that is possible.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

And to add to FC's reply, if you don't want data to be used, you can simply distribute in a form that limits its capabilities or further use.  For example you can shift, and rotate geometry ... you can anonymize attributes or remove all capabilities by delivering on the web 

You really need to clarify your situation and purpose

abdallahilemrabott
New Contributor

Thank you very much for your reply,
I want a user to work on my database without being able to copy or export the data.

0 Kudos
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

If the user can "see" the data, the export function is also available to him.  See this post too: https://community.esri.com/thread/111899 

abdallahilemrabott
New Contributor

My first reflection is to write a Python script to oblige the user to use a single folder for the export and on this folder it does not say the right of writing

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If they have access to the data, what is to prevent them for just loading it in a new project... and nothing will stop them from accessing the data through a standalone python shell and exporting it external to the project.  Attempt to minimize activity and use of data are easily circumvented and not worth the effort.  If you don't want people to use it distribute what you want them to see or put it on the web, where you can control access

FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

And even through the Web you can still extract features.  

BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Standard and Advanced Desktop users can create a licensed file geodatabase and associated license file that blocks the export of vector data from Desktop applications.  This should be backed up with an agreement.  See the Data Management/File Geodatabase toolset.

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I believe these are the ones bharold-esristaff is referring to.  Though I didn't see an explicit comment in the instructions that it would block export, just that it would block display.  Maybe there is more to this than what is currently in the Help?

Generate File Geodatabase License—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Generate Licensed File Geodatabase—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Chris Donohue, GISP