arcmap 10.5 python version ???

12-15-2016 11:18 AM
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Rumours abound... no confirmation by anyone... so if you have installed 10.5 (pre-release, release, future-wear, whatever), can you confirm the version of 

• python
  • numpy
  • scipy
  • matplotlib

Are there any new packages installed that you know of in the site-packages folder?

I don't want to waste my time anymore maintaining older versions of python and backporting functionality from 3 to 2.. I am beginning to know what a Cobol programmer felt like in Y2K.

I also presume they didn't go the Conda route as they did with Pro.  

Is there a reason for this?  Why the separation of development in Map and Pro?

Does anyone know anyone with any insight into world of python and its kin and when there will be some unification of the family.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Now that is better!  I don't suppose I can hold you to that though 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You can try but I have no control over the Pro Dev team!  😉

There is a chance that the release numbers will change when Pro 1.4 is final...but I don't have access to Beta or Release Candidates quite yet...

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

I've got an almost-final-Release-Candidate (they ain't changing the python version now). It has the same versions as Robert.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Melita, I suspect the development efforts are elsewhere..

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I heard from Derek Law‌ in a comment on this thread 

To quote...

Finally heard back from the Dev team, here are the Python package versions included with ArcGIS 10.5 final release:

• python 2.7.12
  • numpy 1.9.3
  • scipy 0.17.0
  • matplotlib 1.5.2

I guess I await unification of a common stack, although I suspect that python 3 will never see the light of day in ArcMap... leaving PRO

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

On the upside for some and to panic others... from

FAQ: Has the Deprecated Features for ArcGIS document been updated for 10.4.1 and 10.5? 

ArcGIS Desktop 10.5

Support for Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications Recently Microsoft has informed Esri that they will no longer provide any fixes or troubleshooting for Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). Given this Microsoft statement, Esri can no longer support distribution of VBA. The ArcGIS Desktop 10.5 release will not include the Microsoft VBA compatibility setup. ArcGIS 10.4.1 for Desktop is the last release that includes the VBA compatibility setup.

0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

Dan,

Absolutely zero promises about ArcMap moving to 3.x -- but it is a talked about idea. Don't take this to mean it'll happen, I'm just saying as an idea, it is not dead. This is probably the biggest concern about the 2.x line: Python 2.7 Countdown 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I have seen that and blogged about it (one of several).

I still see no downside since both versions can co-exist... even on an iPad.  It is just reminiscent of the Y2K era and the foot-dragging around patching COBOL to read corporate databases. 

I suppose I am one of the few that is caught in the need for the upgraded functionality that python 3.5 offers especially when combined with the more recent versions of numpy, scipy and now matplotlib has a v2.0 release candidate.  I just manage by porting over the needed functions from the git repositories or writing my own patches so that I can work with 2.7 for those that need it (normally government, some of which are still on ArcMap 9.3 and even older python).

When PRO 1.4 comes out AND if it is more-or-less up to speed with regards to ArcMap functionality, I will just abandon ArcMap support, except for teaching, until catch-up has occurred.

On to Christmas... got to install pythonista on my iWatch

0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

I understand and hear your concerns over 2.x vs 3.x. Absolutely everything I write these days can work in 2.x or 3.x (syntactically speaking -not speaking for particular packages between versions). But thats "easy" for me to do because I have ArcMap and Pro on the same machine and find myself moving back and forth between the versions constantly, so I'm actively working on items that need to work in both versions. I sympathize with the people who are new to python, or write python infrequently, it can be a burden to understand the differences. Hopefully in time we can make this easier.

SteveLewis
Occasional Contributor

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 is using Python 3.5.  It would be great if ESRI was in sync on that side so that we could embed the ArcPy libraries inside of Microsofts.