Deny "Anonymous Editors" Any Editing Rights

Jump to solution
11-21-2016 12:40 PM
TerryIffland
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way to deny "anonymous editors" from being able to update existing features or create new features?  I know this sounds strange, but I have a case where my organization is publishing some maps for public viewing, but we also using feature layers for Survey123. 

I've come across a use case where after a user has signed on and downloaded the Form for Survey123 it is kept locally on the user's machine. The next time they open Survey123, they are not forced to log on.  This person then becomes an anonymous editor. I don't want them to be able to update anything unless they have logged in, but I don't see this as an option in AGOL.  I only see the options to do "

Since this issue came up while using Survey123, and I will cross-post a question there.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TerryIffland
Occasional Contributor

That's how I have it set up now - anyone in the group can edit all feature layers in that group.

What I've stumbled across is with Survey123 the form is saved to a user's local machine. They are able to fill it out and submit it, and the form does not capture email and user ID unless that user logged in before starting to complete the survey.

I received a note on the Survey123 forum at https://community.esri.com/thread/186264-deny-anonymous-editors-any-editing-rights, so I'm going to close this question on this site.

Thanks for your thoughts.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Terry Iffland,

Perhaps you could try restricting the editing permissions by sharing the public item to a group with configured to allow editing of all contents. This workflow is outlined in more detail under the section called "Further control of edits for layers" in the following documentation:

Manage hosted web layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Best,

Katie

0 Kudos
TerryIffland
Occasional Contributor

That's how I have it set up now - anyone in the group can edit all feature layers in that group.

What I've stumbled across is with Survey123 the form is saved to a user's local machine. They are able to fill it out and submit it, and the form does not capture email and user ID unless that user logged in before starting to complete the survey.

I received a note on the Survey123 forum at https://community.esri.com/thread/186264-deny-anonymous-editors-any-editing-rights, so I'm going to close this question on this site.

Thanks for your thoughts.

0 Kudos